+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse/Common-Law Partner Inland Sponsorhip for Open Work Permit

anna111

Star Member
May 1, 2012
I am a TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker) for almost 3 years and been in a common-law now to a marriage relationship to a refugee claimant who withdrew his claim for some issues. I am 9 months pregnant and only waiting for the day to deliver our daughter. My husband withdrew his refugee claim and only waiting for the departure order which troubling us a lot because of my current situation. By the way, we met here in Canada. This refugee and departure thing really bothers me a lot that gave me so much stress and depression. I am thinking of sponsoring him as an accompanying spouse and apply in-land or inside since he's already here and have an open work permit too. I am also now in the process of applying for my PR and as his wife he will be included. I am under the NOC 6 - 311 Food Service Supervisors. My one and only concern is that I don't want him to leave Canada and me and our daughter behind. My questions are: 1) will he be staying here with us if I apply him as an accompanying spouse and me as a PR applicant?, 2) what are the process/things to do on my end and on his end since he's a refugee claimant withdrawee? Appreciate your concern and advise friends. Don't know what to do here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No - sorry - this won't let him stay in Canada. Once he receives the departure order, he needs to leave Canada before it turns into a deportation order.

Once he is home - I don't think there will be any point in applying for either a TRV or open work permit as your spouse/common law partner. Since he is a failed refugee claimant, CIC will assume he wants to stay in Canada long term and will refuse these.

I think your only option is for him to leave Canada and wait for your PR application to be processed. Once he is issued a PR visa - he will be able to return to Canada. Again, it's very important he leave before the departure order turns into a deportation order - otherwise your PR application will take significantly longer to process.

Good luck.