+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse application help needed

maya0203

Jan 20, 2017
Hello,

I applied for Express Entry under CEC in Aug 2016 and got my ITA in a week. I finished the formalities and got a request for my passport last week. However, I got engaged a few weeks ago and am due to get married in 3 weeks. Here are my questions:

1. Do I update my profile with CIC and inform them of this now or do I wait till my marriage is registered? We can register our marriage early if required.
2. If I add my spouse to my EE application, will he get the PR as well? His educational background is weak as he has only gone to high school.

My main confusion is if I should add him to my application or wait and sponsor him for PR later. Which would be a better option that would ensure he gets his PR the quickest?

Any help is appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can only add him later if you land in Canada and become a PR before you get married. If you get married before you become a PR, it is mandatory that you add him to your existing application.

maya0203

Jan 20, 2017
scylla said:
You can only add him later if you land in Canada and become a PR before you get married. If you get married before you become a PR, it is mandatory that you add him to your existing application.
Thank you for your reply Scylla.

I will then register my marriage early and add him to my profile now.

1. Will this delay the process a lot more?
2. If I do this, will he get his PR with me?
3. Is his weak educational background a problem in the application?

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
1. It will delay it, but whether or not it delays by "a lot" depends on all the background checks and whatnot...
2. Yes
3. Probably not, but most people here (myself included) don't know everything about the EE process, we applied under the old CEC. As long as your CRS points remain above the cutoff for the draw where you received ITA, you'll be fine.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
maya0203 said:
I applied for Express Entry under CEC in Aug 2016 and got my ITA in a week. I finished the formalities and got a request for my passport last week. However, I got engaged a few weeks ago and am due to get married in 3 weeks. Here are my questions:
Well, if by chance you get your passport back with the COPR and manage to land before you get married, you could later sponsor your spouse in the family class later. But you should realize that it will take time, and he might not be approved for a visitor or work permit in the interim - you would have to live apart, likely for more than a year.

If you get married before you land as a PR, you are REQUIRED to inform IRCC, and add him to your application. Yes, of course it will add processing time, since your application is at the end, and his would be starting from the beginning. How much time, no one is able to say, it depends a lot on his background. But this would be MUCH faster than sponsoring through the family class.

His level of education will have no impact on your application, not when you add him at this stage.