+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse accompanying

happycamper21

May 9, 2021
Hi there!

I am applying for PR. I am currently 20 months into my IEC visa. My common-law spouse is 18 months into her IEC visa.

She works for a UK company and so doesn't need a work visa to be in Canada. We decided I would apply for PR by myself as I had far more points. Then down the line I would sponsor her as my spouse. In the mean time, once her visa has expired she will just use a tourist visa.

I have selected "spouse not accompanying" on my PR application and now I see that I must give a reason. I obviously do not want to lie. Should I have said that she was accompanying me from the off? My points were around 480 in the recent draw (saying spouse not accompanying me), where the lowest accepted score was 417.

Hopefully someone can help.. thank you

Karthik555

Sep 18, 2022
Hi there!

I am applying for PR. I am currently 20 months into my IEC visa. My common-law spouse is 18 months into her IEC visa.

She works for a UK company and so doesn't need a work visa to be in Canada. We decided I would apply for PR by myself as I had far more points. Then down the line I would sponsor her as my spouse. In the mean time, once her visa has expired she will just use a tourist visa.

I have selected "spouse not accompanying" on my PR application and now I see that I must give a reason. I obviously do not want to lie. Should I have said that she was accompanying me from the off? My points were around 480 in the recent draw (saying spouse not accompanying me), where the lowest accepted score was 417.

Hopefully someone can help.. thank you
Hi ,

I am in a similar situation, please let me know what happened in your case and what you updated as reason for spouse not accompanying. Thanks. Appreciate your response.