+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

unimolecular

Mar 18, 2011
I obtained my PhD and got married in Quebec in 1997. So my wife is Canadian (I am not) and we have two Canadian Children. We have resided in Lebanon for 12 years. We both work. My questions are:

1) Can my wife sponsor me if she is not living in Canada?
2) Can we present a joint bank account as proof of support?
3) Do I have to get a CAQ from Quebec before my wife applies for sponsorship?
4) Can I still apply for a visitor's visa after applying for the sponsorship?

Many thanks!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
If your wife is a Canadian citizen, she can apply to sponsor you even while living abroad. If she is a Canadian permanent resident, though, she has to be resident in Canada in order to be eligible to sponsor a family member.

There are no minimum income requirements for spousal sponsorships - so proof of support is not necessary. Your wife will need to provide proof of her intention to return to Canada and re-settle, though, and the two of you will have to provide information supporting your "genuine" relationship - in other words, prove that you are not together just so that you can get back into Canada. (Everyone has to do this.)

The application for the CSQ is mailed to the sponsor, along with the sponsorship approval letter, from the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga after the sponsor is deemed eligible. The CSQ forms have to be filled out, then, and submitted with the additional fee and, once the CSQ is issued the overseas embassy will begin processing the applicant's portion of the application.

You can always apply for visitor status, but whether or not you're approved will depend first on whether or not you are visa-exempt or non-visa-exempt, and then on whether or not you can prove that you only intend to stay in Canada temporarily. Most non-visa-exempt nationals are not issued TRVs to visit Canada once they are married to a Canadian and/or have an application for permanent residence in process because they can no longer prove that their intended stay is only temporary. Visa exempt nationals have to "apply" at a Canadian port-of-entry by undergoing examination by the officer there. It's up to his/her discretion whether to allow entry or not.