+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

Chanda45

Feb 2, 2019
Hi there,

I am a PR holder in Canada but my fiancé isn't and doesn't even have Tourist visa for now. We are planning to get married next year in India. We plan to get his Tourist Visa by then so that we can travel back to Canada together. Once we are in Canada, we plan to apply for his Spousal Sponsorship application with Open Work Permit application as an inland applicant. From various posts I understand that takes 4-5 months.
My question is can he look for a job and possibly start one once work permit is in applied status ?

Thank you!
Chanda

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
He needs an approved work permit to start working. So be prepared for a few months that he cannot work.
BTW you should have a plan B if he doesn't get TRV. Note that you need to be in Canada to sponsor him.

Chanda45

Feb 2, 2019
No. He would need to have the work permit in hand to work.
I have a friend who studied in Canada and was living here on student visa. After his studies he applied to his work permit and he was eligible to work full time ( not just 20 hrs/week which comes with student visa) the next day.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I have a friend who studied in Canada and was living here on student visa. After his studies he applied to his work permit and he was eligible to work full time ( not just 20 hrs/week which comes with student visa) the next day.
That's good, but you're a PR and your husband is not a student, so none of that matters. He cannot work simply on the basis of having applied for a spousal work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There are different rules for different kinds of work permits. Your spouse would be here as a visitor and would remain a visitor until OWP approval. Working as a visitor is illegal.