+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hello experts,

I am asking this question on behalf of my friend. I was wondering if anyone here can provide me suggestions regarding spousal sponsorship. My friend has recently received PR and currently, he is living in Canada.

He has a girlfriend back home and he wants to sponsor her to Canada. Both of their families had done some kind of rituals and few weeks before he managed to get the marriage certificate too. So now they are Husband and wife legally. But the problem is that physically he has never been back to his home country after coming to Canada and on every application his marital status was single.

So would it be a problem to sponsor his girlfriend? Or he needs to go back to home country

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Hello experts,

I am asking this question on behalf of my friend. I was wondering if anyone here can provide me suggestions regarding spousal sponsorship. My friend has recently received PR and currently, he is living in Canada.

He has a girlfriend back home and he wants to sponsor her to Canada. Both of their families had done some kind of rituals and few weeks before he managed to get the marriage certificate too. So now they are Husband and wife legally. But the problem is that physically he has never been back to his home country after coming to Canada and on every application his marital status was single.

So would it be a problem to sponsor his girlfriend? Or he needs to go back to home country
Check this thread
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship.46995/

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello experts,

Did he marry in his home country before landing as a PR or did they have a proxy marriage after he landed as a PR? If it is the former, he committed misrepresentation and cannot sponsor her. If it is the latter, Canada doesn't recognize proxy marriage and he must return to his country and actually marry her in person.

Reactions: tobs

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Did he marry in his home country before landing as a PR or did they have a proxy marriage after he landed as a PR? If it is the former, he committed misrepresentation and cannot sponsor her. If it is the latter, Canada doesn't recognize proxy marriage and he must return to his country and actually marry her in person.
Yes, it was a proxy marriage.