+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

JGILL16

Jul 15, 2015
Hello Seniors,

This is a complicated case. Need your advise. One of my girlfriend got married last year while she was on study permit. Her husband got her open work permit. Which will be valid after separation as per CIC call center service providers. Because of some of their personal issues they are separating again. Now, she has to marry with parents wish. My question is if she gets marry, would her second husband be eligible to sponsor her as he is PR or they have to wait one year of divorce??

Any resposes will be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As long as she gets divorced before she remarried, he can certainly sponsor her. However I think they are going to have their work cut out for them proving this is a genuine marriage and not a marriage of convenience given how quickly she has remarried. They should provide as much evidence as possible to prove the relationship is genuine. She should also remain in school as an international student and not drop out.

JGILL16

Jul 15, 2015
scylla said:
As long as she gets divorced before she remarried, he can certainly sponsor her. However I think they are going to have their work cut out for them proving this is a genuine marriage and not a marriage of convenience given how quickly she has remarried. They should provide as much evidence as possible to prove the relationship is genuine. She should also remain in school as an international student and not drop out.
Thanks Scylla

One more question. CIC people said she can continue working on her Open Work Permit which she got from her ex husband till it get expired. Do u think it is okay to do so? I mean her work permit will stay valid after separation??

Thanks again

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
As lo1 ng as she gets divorced before she remarried, he can certainly sponsor her. However I think they are going to have their work cut out for them proving this is a genuine marriage and not a marriage of convenience given how quickly she has remarried. They should provide as much evidence as possible to prove the relationship is genuine. She should also remain in school as an international student and not drop out.
1 Since to apply for a divorce in Canada, in most cases you have be separated for 1 year, it is unlikely that she be able to remain in Canada for the processing.