+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship without Rukhsati.

boneified

Jul 24, 2024
Hi,

I got married this year while I was visiting Pakistan. We met before getting married, her and my family were also there after that we got married and then had a reception in a banquet mine and her whole family was invited. After that, we went to some places just me and her and I left after few days of getting married but we didn't got Rukhsati done. She still have studies left and I have also studies left. We were thinking of doing Rukhsati after our studies get done. should I apply for her spousal sponsorship or should I wait to get Rukhsati done? And if I do apply, would the officer would be asking for Rukhsati?

I am a Canadian citizen and I'll be sponsoring her. I have pictures and videos every time we met and the pictures from the nikkah and the reception too. Should I apply or should I wait? And if I apply after our rukhsati, how long will the process take?

Thank you.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I got married this year while I was visiting Pakistan. We met before getting married, her and my family were also there after that we got married and then had a reception in a banquet mine and her whole family was invited. After that, we went to some places just me and her and I left after few days of getting married but we didn't got Rukhsati done. She still have studies left and I have also studies left. We were thinking of doing Rukhsati after our studies get done. should I apply for her spousal sponsorship or should I wait to get Rukhsati done? And if I do apply, would the officer would be asking for Rukhsati?

I am a Canadian citizen and I'll be sponsoring her. I have pictures and videos every time we met and the pictures from the nikkah and the reception too. Should I apply or should I wait? And if I apply after our rukhsati, how long will the process take?

Thank you.
You need the Rukhsati for the sponsorship. IRCC is very aware of marriage requirements for various ethnicities, religions, countries, etc. Why get married if you are still both studying especially as it seems you only met and then got married on the same trip? You could have just gotten married when you were both done school and ready to be married and live together. What do you mean went a few place together just the two of you? For dinner for example? You didn’t do the Rukhsati so I can’t imagine you went away for a honeymoon.

skizzle

Feb 17, 2024
My cousin did a Nikkah and small function and immediately applied for spousal, he did not have his shaadi & walimah done until 8 months later (had TRV approved for Canada and her spousal PR was a few months away from completion).

You should clearly write that you have had a complete Islamic marriage, and you are 100% married under Islamic law. I presume your family is not hardcore cultural, because they let you go places with just you and her (especially if you travelled somewhere or stayed together),in that case since you had a 'function' in a banquet hall, you can definitely label the nikkah and banquet event as two different events -- this is not a 'nikkah only' case because of the fact that you did have an event

Lots of people from ahlul hadith community in Pakistan do not have the same rukhsati norms, they have a nikkah and a walimah, there is no 'rukhsati', the walimah just implies you've been in khalwa together (stayed together).

in my case some people tried scaring me and saying I need to walk my bride to the car and someone has to hold a quran over her head etc -- nonsense, we don't do this stuff in my culture or in my religious background.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My cousin did a Nikkah and small function and immediately applied for spousal, he did not have his shaadi & walimah done until 8 months later (had TRV approved for Canada and her spousal PR was a few months away from completion).

You should clearly write that you have had a complete Islamic marriage, and you are 100% married under Islamic law. I presume your family is not hardcore cultural, because they let you go places with just you and her (especially if you travelled somewhere or stayed together),in that case since you had a 'function' in a banquet hall, you can definitely label the nikkah and banquet event as two different events -- this is not a 'nikkah only' case because of the fact that you did have an event

Lots of people from ahlul hadith community in Pakistan do not have the same rukhsati norms, they have a nikkah and a walimah, there is no 'rukhsati', the walimah just implies you've been in khalwa together (stayed together).

in my case some people tried scaring me and saying I need to walk my bride to the car and someone has to hold a quran over her head etc -- nonsense, we don't do this stuff in my culture or in my religious background.
In general you have to follow marriages cultures associated with your community. That is what IRCC focuses on especially for arranged marriages with minimal in person time spent together.