+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship without living together 'as husband and wife' until later

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Hi,

We are looking at getting married legally in February with a small ceremony with family in the USA. We are then wanting to have a big church ceremony in Brazil in July followed by the honeymoon.

Because of our religious convictions, we are not intending to live together 'as husband and wife' or have a honeymoon until after the big Christian ceremony in July.

We want to jump start the application after getting legally married though.

Will this lack of living together (and not sleeping together) be a bad thing for the application even though we would be legally married after knowing each other for three years.

Thanks...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If by "not living together" meaning not living in the same address, then that is not unusual. It is actually quite common - many people start long distance relationships and get married and then wait for sponsorship to finish before ever officially start living together. What would be bad is if you and your spouse never visited each other or physically spent very little time together.

but you will definitely want to explain in your application that you plan on having a big ceremony in July and have your honeymoon afterwards. And if you have any proof of this (like some document like invitations to family/friends for the big church ceremony, plane tickets for the honeymoon booked, etc) then that would be good to include (copies of course)

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
In my personal opinion, it could be a little iffy. Maybe. It's not enough to be "legally" married. You have to be able to show that the legal marriage is "genuine" (i.e. not just entered into for immigration purposes). If any question of it comes up, they may want to be sure that you consider yourselves really married, and your friends and relatives consider you really married. If you don't consider the real wedding to actually be completed at the time that you apply, it does enter into a little bit of a grey area. The idea that you are legally married but are avoiding sleeping together because you don't really think the marriage is legitimate yet does bring up questions if the immigration officers know about that. From their viewpoint, think what would happen if they granted permanent residence and you decided not to go through with the Christian ceremony after all. Just something to think about. Others may disagree with my cautions.

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks Both

I am thinking of getting her a study visa to enrol in a course before any marriage. What are your thoughts of this? This would mean if and when we got married she would be enrolled in a course so she could be in the country.

Are there any implications with her starting only starting the course after marriage if she got the study visa before marriage. Or should she only get married after she has started the course.

Also... is it possible for my parents (in Seattle) to sponsor her as she doesn't have the money herself for study.

Thanks

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
All I know about study permits is that it's important to accurately disclose your marital status and whether you have children at the time that you apply. You should maybe ask questions about study permits in another section of this forum.

It would be possible for your parents to pay for her study, I think. I don't see a problem with that. Your parents can't sponsor her for Permanent Residency, though, because they are not related to her (in any permissible way to sponsor).

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks BeeShoo.

Do you see any problem with her getting a study visa and then getting married outside of Canada BEFORE starting the course?

Also, is a denial of a study visa a red flag when someone actually goes into Canada as a spouse on a visitors visa?

Thanks!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
As I said, I'm no expert on study visas but I don't see how there would be a problem getting married after getting a study visa. It might be important to declare the change in marital status once it takes place. Certainly she needs to do that.

If a study visa were denied, I don't think that would be a red flag for PR.