+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship without Employment

flakky2020

Jan 18, 2013
I am a Canadian PR holder who intends to sponsor my husband who's based in Nigeria. I however have not worked for a year because of my pregnancy and child birth. Can i still sponsor my husband? if yes, on what grounds? lastly, in the Sponsor Evaluation. Do i thick the unemployed and explain why?
What are my options to avoid my application for eligibility being refused?

Thanks house!

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
You don't have to be employed, you just need to prove to them that you won't be on welfare. So show things like savings, whether you plan on going back to work, proof of former employment in a field, letters from relatives willing to support you, etc.

If you are on welfare or social assistance, you need to get off it before you are able to sponsor him.

And yes, you should tick unemployed if that is your job status.

flakky2020

Jan 18, 2013
chipits said:
You don't have to be employed, you just need to prove to them that you won't be on welfare. So show things like savings, whether you plan on going back to work, proof of former employment in a field, letters from relatives willing to support you, etc.

If you are on welfare or social assistance, you need to get off it before you are able to sponsor him.

And yes, you should tick unemployed if that is your job status.

Thank you very much for your prompt response Chipits! However in filling the "Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking form". In completing the Part 1, Question 1 box: which box are we to tick? the (i) withdraw your sponsorship application or (ii) proceed with the application for permanent residence; considering the initial position of unemployment but getting additional documents like support letters, etc.

Thanks for your anticipated response!

tintin79

Jan 28, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2011
Interview........
genuineness determined no need for interview
Passport Req..
05-02-2013 and they're still holding on to it as ARC is still in process from Dec 12 2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
So are you on mat leave? If on mat leave then as long as you gett a job letter show your EI payments, then you're fine. I was on mat leave when I applied for sponsorship for my husband.

Now if you're not working, hopefully you have some money sitting around. Just forget about any type of welfare.

Proceed with the application as long as you do not receive government assistance

Reactions: aniejasmine