+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship while waiting for pgwp work permit

dududu

May 25, 2020
Hi I am a Canadian citizen and have gf which has a common law status and 2 years of living together with conjugal relationship .

she was an international student and graduated with a 4 year degree but then she worked 1 week full time before applying for pgwp by accident.

now she was asked to submit restoration of status and student permit extension. She has been waiting on implied status for her pgwp since may 2020.

should I apply for common law pr if she gets rejected or what are the chances of rejection( she submitted a letter of explanation through web form as the university misguided her)

Or should I apply as we are waiting? Can I apply if she gets refused on pgwp when she is out of status?

thanks for any feedback

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am a Canadian citizen and have gf which has a common law status and 2 years of living together with conjugal relationship .

she was an international student and graduated with a 4 year degree but then she worked 1 week full time before applying for pgwp by accident.

now she was asked to submit restoration of status and student permit extension. She has been waiting on implied status for her pgwp since may 2020.

should I apply for common law pr if she gets rejected or what are the chances of rejection( she submitted a letter of explanation through web form as the university misguided her)

Or should I apply as we are waiting? Can I apply if she gets refused on pgwp when she is out of status?

thanks for any feedback
You can apply to sponsor her at anytime if you want to sponsor her. Would make sure you are collecting proof of your common law status. Hopefully you are both on your lease, have filed taxes as common law, etc. If you apply when she has status she qualifies to apply for OWP with spousal sponsorship but you can sponsor someone without status as well.

dududu

May 25, 2020
You can apply to sponsor her at anytime if you want to sponsor her. Would make sure you are collecting proof of your common law status. Hopefully you are both on your lease, have filed taxes as common law, etc. If you apply when she has status she qualifies to apply for OWP with spousal sponsorship but you can sponsor someone without status as well.
Do you know if she runs out of status and I apply after a refusal it will effect the application as inland applicant?

also I have names on the leases and joint account but do not file taxes as common law for financial reasons. Does this largely effect the application aswell?

do you suggest applyingfor sponsorship right awayor wait for the pgwp decision first?