+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship while on Welfare (Ontario Work)

mostkal

Feb 18, 2019
Hi all,

if I'm looking to sponsor my spouse but I'm receiving Welfare, how long do I have to be off Welfare before I can submit my spousal application?

thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

if I'm looking to sponsor my spouse but I'm receiving Welfare, how long do I have to be off Welfare before I can submit my spousal application?

thank you
At least a few months but it also depends on how long you have been receiving welfare. If you have been on welfare for a long period of time you want to show that you are back to fully-time permanent work and will not return to welfare as soon as your wife arrives. You want to eliminate any concern that you won’t be able to care for your family in Canada. Is your spouse already in Canada? If not how long did you leave Canada to get married and were you on welfare at the time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Over 1 year and yes my spouse is here
If your spouse is in Canada and is legally able to work you can also show her work history and income earned as well. Given that you haven’t worked for over a year you really need to show that you are committed to working and supporting your family longterm without government support. Your wife being in Canada has not prompted you to go to work to support and to support your family yet. At a minimum I would not apply until you have been working full-time for 3 months.

mostkal

Feb 18, 2019
Thank you for your help. We got married back in August and she is still on visitor visa. No work permit. That said, I started my own business recently and I've managed to get some clients with potential income which will help support both of us. The income was not enough for me to get off WO. If I show potential clients contracts and take myself off WO, do you think I can start the process? I just want my wife to get work permit which will help her find a job too.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your help. We got married back in August and she is still on visitor visa. No work permit. That said, I started my own business recently and I've managed to get some clients with potential income which will help support both of us. The income was not enough for me to get off WO. If I show potential clients contracts and take myself off WO, do you think I can start the process? I just want my wife to get work permit which will help her find a job too.
I would recommend waiting 2-3 months after you get off OW before submitting the application. You will also want to be able to show actual income and not just potential income. Make sure you do not go back on OW at any time during the process.

Reactions: YVR123