+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Social Assistance

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
Hey guys,

I need some help regarding my friend situation, she got married back home in sep 2012 stayed there with her husband, came back to Canada in oct 2013 and she was 6 months pregnant when she came back and due to her family issues and financial problems she took social assistance in oct 2013, now she is planning to sponsor her husband and she did not know about the social assistance effect on sponsorship. She also had her baby last week and will be collecting child benefits she said. But she is wondering when she gets off social assistance how long should she wait before she can send the application for her spousal sponsorship. She is afraid he might get rejected if she applies right away? what could be the best solution? should she wait and work for some while? She never took social assistance before she has been a Canadian citizenship for almost 9 years and she has also never worked she always lived with parents even now she is living with them and the amount she gets from social assistance is around $500 she said. She spoke to a lawyer and he is saying she will have to pay back the social assistance she collected so far and then she can apply for spousal sponsorship. but another lawyer is saying that is not the case? Any responses would be appreciated! Thanks

P.s: sorry for such long story :$ i should have kept it short :$ :$

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I'm not sure that she would have to repay the social assistance, it would seem odd. She would have to repay it if her husband went on social assistance AFTER landing, for sure, for her case, I don't know.

When to apply? maybe wait a bit. First, she must go off social assistance, and build a "strong case" to show that she can do without. If she can work a little and put some money aside, that would be good. She should get a letter from her parents explaining that she can stay with them, and she could also explain how her husband's skills will allow him to find a job in Canada when he comes. She should have a "plan" to show that she will not go on social assistance again.
Sweden