+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Reigniting a past relationship

TravelingWolf

Jan 30, 2019
Hi All,

From 2010-2016 I was in a relationship with a Canadian girl (I'm from New Zealand) and in that time she lived with me in NZ, and I lived with her in Canada (Both for a year). We got engaged in 2013 and planned to apply for a spousal sponsorship visa in 2015.

Long story short, a few circumstances (A big death in the family) put some strain on the relationship and led us to break up and focus on different things for a while. About 6 months ago we reconnected and decided we were in a better place to start anew.

I've already done an IEC visa once and cannot apply again, leaving me to think that a spousal sponsorship visa is our only choice. Given the time apart, I imagine this affects whether or not we are eligible to go ahead with it... we really don't know what to do in our situation as moving to NZ isn't really a choice.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
you will need to provide proof that you and her have lived together for 12 months to qualify as common law.....alternatively marry her and apply for sponsorship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

From 2010-2016 I was in a relationship with a Canadian girl (I'm from New Zealand) and in that time she lived with me in NZ, and I lived with her in Canada (Both for a year). We got engaged in 2013 and planned to apply for a spousal sponsorship visa in 2015.

Long story short, a few circumstances (A big death in the family) put some strain on the relationship and led us to break up and focus on different things for a while. About 6 months ago we reconnected and decided we were in a better place to start anew.

I've already done an IEC visa once and cannot apply again, leaving me to think that a spousal sponsorship visa is our only choice. Given the time apart, I imagine this affects whether or not we are eligible to go ahead with it... we really don't know what to do in our situation as moving to NZ isn't really a choice.
Hi

You are no longer common-law. You must either marry or live together continuously for a year in order to apply for sponsorship.

TravelingWolf

Jan 30, 2019
Hi

You are no longer common-law. You must either marry or live together continuously for a year in order to apply for sponsorship.
The problem is I can't get another visa to go there, and she can't come here... so how do we live with each other again? We could get married, sure, but we will still need to live together again right?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
The problem is I can't get another visa to go there, and she can't come here... so how do we live with each other again? We could get married, sure, but we will still need to live together again right?
No. If you get married, there's no cohabitation requirement.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can come to Canada as a visitor and extend your stay to get one year of cohabitation. Or get married.