+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship processing times

Sam Brown

Jun 25, 2018
Hi everyone!

I am applying for Common-Law sponsorship (inland) and an open work permit. I sent off the application June 4th,2018 via Fedex express and got confirmation from Fedex on June 5th stating it was received. I have yet to receive any information from CIC stating they have received my application.

So my questions are what are the normal processing times for this application? Should i receive confirmation from CIC that they have it? Is there a way I can contact them to see if they are looking at it?

In the application I included an Open work Permit application. My current visa ends September 10th,2018. What happens if I don't hear back in time? I need an answer on the work permit before my visa expires or I cannot work anymore or I am issued "implied status"?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What you're experiencing is normal. You won't hear anything from CIC for 6-8 weeks after submitting the application.

The OWP will take up to 4 months to be approved. You have implied status and can remain in Canada past the expiry of your current visa.

What kind of work permit do you hold now?

Sam Brown

Jun 25, 2018
I currently hold a 2 year IEC visa. Expiring in September 10th. Implied status will allow me to work during that time or just to stay in the country?

KateVancity

Jan 21, 2016
Have you linked your application to your online account? This is the best way to keep an eye on your application progress. It's updated fairly frequently.

I was in the exact same situation. I was sponsored under Common-Law partnership, and I applied within Canada. After submitting my initial application, I linked my account within the following weeks, then I got my open work permit mailed to me within the month (It was rather casual. I thought I had to pick it up from an IRCC office, but it was mailed in a standard envelope lol). You should definitely receive your work permit before September.

Sam Brown

Jun 25, 2018
How did you link your application? I tried doing it and I think I have to wait to get my application number before I can link it. Did you have to do this too?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I currently hold a 2 year IEC visa. Expiring in September 10th. Implied status will allow me to work during that time or just to stay in the country?
Since IEC cannot be "extend", implied status will allow you to just stay. Once you get the OWP, then you can work again.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

chand.ghumman

Mar 24, 2019
Hi I apply my Spousal Sponsorship 21 March 2019 and open work permit how long take to get open work permit and I arrive in Canada 16 December 2018 I have to extend my entry in Canada after 6 month please help??

Mar1219

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hi I apply my Spousal Sponsorship 21 March 2019 and open work permit how long take to get open work permit and I arrive in Canada 16 December 2018 I have to extend my entry in Canada after 6 month please help??
The website says it takes 4-5 from the date they received it to get OWP. From looking at the tracker it looks like January applicants are already receiving it, hopefully it is the same case for us. If you get the 5 month mark of being in Canada I would extend your status just in case your OWP is denied