+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Portugal and Canada - Questions Regarding Lawyers

knysna

Jul 5, 2016
Hello,

I am a Canadian and I am going to be marrying my Portuguese fiancé on November 12, 2016. We want to do a spousal sponsorship so that we can build our lives together in Canada. My understanding is that once we have filed for spousal sponsorship he can also apply for an open work visa so he can remain in Canada while we wait.

My question is - has anyone ever done this without a lawyer or would you recommend doing it with the assistance of a lawyer?

We are a pretty normal circumstance - no children and met while travelling a year ago and are now getting married.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
knysna said:
Hello,

I am a Canadian and I am going to be marrying my Portuguese fiancé on November 12, 2016. We want to do a spousal sponsorship so that we can build our lives together in Canada. My understanding is that once we have filed for spousal sponsorship he can also apply for an open work visa so he can remain in Canada while we wait.

My question is - has anyone ever done this without a lawyer or would you recommend doing it with the assistance of a lawyer?

We are a pretty normal circumstance - no children and met while travelling a year ago and are now getting married.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!
Unless you have a complicated case, you do not need a lawyer. Use the forum and join Facebook groups...they are helpful in getting answers to questions by others who have gone through the process.

In order to apply for the OWP (open work permit) you need to apply Inland and have a valid visitor status.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
knysna said:
My understanding is that once we have filed for spousal sponsorship he can also apply for an open work visa so he can remain in Canada while we wait.

I would suggest that you apply outland. He can come to Canada as a visitor while the application is being processed - that is, he does not have to be outside of Canada. He could also apply inland - in this case, he can get an open work permit. We usually recommend outland, since it is much faster in most cases than inland. In addition, he can enter Canada as a visitor without a visa, so there is no need to be separated.
For a simple case, you do not need a lawyer. Most people on this forum have applied without using a lawyer, and have been fine. If your case is complicated, then a lawyer would be useful.