+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship - pgwp implied status

Vaza3D

May 23, 2014
Hello everyone!

I have been researching this topic for the last 3 days, digging through everywhere, including this forum.
The issue: can one work under implied status after having a PGWP, and applying for spausal sponsorship inland + OWP?

And if not: do CIC really expect couples to sustain themselves financially while waiting for stage 1 to approve (currently takes 14 months)?

I know it is a controversial topic and opinions very, mainly because there doesn't seem to be an official source on the matter?

I looked at this thread, and it gave me hope

not allowed to post link (called "Post Graduate Work Permit - implied status or not?", where a user got a 'golden letter' from CIC confirming he could work for any employer under the conditions of his PGWP)

Also I saw a couple of articles that confirm it:

"If the spouse or partner is already employed temporarily in Canada, they will have ‘implied status’ until a decision is rendered. ‘Implied status’ means individuals may continue working after their existing work permit expires, insofar as they are awaiting the outcome of an application."

"This method is particularly useful for spouses who are already working temporarily in Canada, because their pending Open Work Permit application grants them ‘implied status’. Under implied status, an applicant can continue to work past the expiration date of their existing work permit, until they receive the results of their pending application."

It is not case specific, of course, but it is consistent with CIC definition of implied status. Does anyone here has concrete evidence that pgwp implied status is not eligible for work?

Arajab

Jan 2, 2018
Hi VaZa3D,

Do you have conclusion on your post above? I am in a similar situation now.

Thank you