+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship open work permit dilemma - please help

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
Good afternoon,

My girlfriend (principal and sole applicant) and I (sponsor) applied for inland spousal sponsorship with an open work permit application in early December. My girlfriends current working holiday visa is about to expire (very soon) and we have not yet received any formal confirmation or an application number for our application. The only thing that we have is our application receipts and proof that someone received it at CPC (because we sent it through courier with a tracker). This being said, we have been trying to get in contact with CIC by telephone but they are always full.

Once her open work permit expires will she technically be on implied status even though they haven’t gotten back to us? What should we do?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone that will take the time to answer this

Sincerely

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Good afternoon,

My girlfriend (principal and sole applicant) and I (sponsor) applied for inland spousal sponsorship with an open work permit application in early December. My girlfriends current working holiday visa is about to expire (very soon) and we have not yet received any formal confirmation or an application number for our application. The only thing that we have is our application receipts and proof that someone received it at CPC (because we sent it through courier with a tracker). This being said, we have been trying to get in contact with CIC by telephone but they are always full.

Once her open work permit expires will she technically be on implied status even though they haven’t gotten back to us? What should we do?

Sincerely
Yes but if the OWP app is returned for any reason she will be out of status. Best to extend stay as a visitor to be safe.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good afternoon,

Sincerely
Agree with above. She should apply for a visitor extension before her current work permit expires just to be safe.

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
Ok, will she still be able to work even after sending that visitor extension? And what happens if let's say in a few weeks her OWP gets returned and we have not received confirmation of the visitor extension. What do we do??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, will she still be able to work even after sending that visitor extension? And what happens if let's say in a few weeks her OWP gets returned and we have not received confirmation of the visitor extension. What do we do??
She can work until her IEC permit expires.

She re-submits the OWP app.