+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship -- Need Guidance

hoopydrood

Feb 15, 2017
Hello,

First time poster, part-time lurker to the forums--if I am not posting this in the correct location or am breaking some kind of forum rules, please let me know so that I can try to fix any issues!

Long story short: my wife in Ontario and I have been in a relationship for three years and married earlier this month, but we have known one another since around 2001. We have one 16-month-old son and have another son on the way, due in June. I currently live and work in the US with a decent paying job as a networking supervisor for a company that has a minor (yet growing) presence in Ontario. I do not appear to be eligible for any kind of Express Entry according to the EE test. At this point, we are trying to find out what our best course of action is.

Quite recently, our plans have been expedited, for which we have no choice in the matter. As such, we are going to need to find "our home" a bit earlier than planned and it seems likely that it will happen without me there to help. The ideal situation for us, in this case, seems to be to do inland sponsorship while I have a work permit and can work with my current company on the Canadian side of my job. It seems this would allow me to work and live there, doing my part as a father and helping to take care of my family while the application is processed. However, we are not entirely sure how possible or even plausible this is. All things considered, I am not worried about how long it takes to be processed, as long as I can be there to support my family and can be a father to my children.

We are looking for advice or even some sort of reassurance that we are on the right path, if we even are. I know that the immigration process has changed slightly this year and some of the information in the stickies may be out of date, but I have read over those as well. I have filled out the free assessment on this website and am awaiting a reply, although not sure what I am expecting to receive.

Thank you for taking your time to read over this. Feel free to ask for any more information if it helps.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hoopydrood said:
Long story short: my wife in Ontario

I currently live and work in the US

The ideal situation for us, in this case, seems to be to do inland sponsorship while I have a work permit and can work with my current company on the Canadian side of my job. It seems this would allow me to work and live there, doing my part as a father and helping to take care of my family while the application is processed.
I'm going to assume your wife is Canadian and you are American.

If so, apply outland now. American apps are processed extremely quickly, around 4-6 months. If you choose inland, you need to wait until you actually come to Canada to apply and it will be another 4 months after that to receive the OWP.

You can come to Canada as a visitor while the outland app processes. You can work remotely for your American employer, provided NONE of your work is done for Canadian clients and you are not paid in Canada.

hoopydrood

Feb 15, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
I'm going to assume your wife is Canadian and you are American.

If so, apply outland now. American apps are processed extremely quickly, around 4-6 months. If you choose inland, you need to wait until you actually come to Canada to apply and it will be another 4 months after that to receive the OWP.

You can come to Canada as a visitor while the outland app processes. You can work remotely for your American employer, provided NONE of your work is done for Canadian clients and you are not paid in Canada.
Thanks for the quick and informative reply! Sorry, yes, she is Canadian and I am American. As for the job: yes, it would be the case that I would be paid in USD to a US bank account and would not be required to work for any of the Canadian clients.

Just to make sure I understand, applying for outland will not be a problem with me staying in Canada on the typical six-month visitor visa? Since we have children, would the "Super Visa" be an option as well in this case?

Thanks again!

hoopydrood

Feb 15, 2017
Got excited with my reply and forgot to do a search until afterwards. I actually found another post with a reply of yours that appears to be relevant to my case since the USA is also a visa-exempt country (looks like I can't post links here).

So I guess as long as I don't give them any reason to think I have any intention of overstaying my welcome, it should be fine to visit for that length of time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hoopydrood said:
Thanks for the quick and informative reply! Sorry, yes, she is Canadian and I am American. As for the job: yes, it would be the case that I would be paid in USD to a US bank account and would not be required to work for any of the Canadian clients.

Just to make sure I understand, applying for outland will not be a problem with me staying in Canada on the typical six-month visitor visa? Since we have children, would the "Super Visa" be an option as well in this case?
It's fine to be in Canada while the outland app processes.

A Supervisa does not apply to you. The inviting child must meet the income requirement in Canada.