+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship, looking for advice on working

danapefq

Aug 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've posted here before and want to thank everyone for the advice I've gotten so far. Today I need some advice on work regulations. Here is the background of my situation:

I live in NY and my fiance lives is Toronto, we are getting married in a small civil ceremony in May, then having a big celebration with family and friends in august, and shortly thereafter we'll be applying for my fiance to sponsor me as a PR, with outland being the current planned route. We've known each other about a year and a half and been dating 7 months at this point, so by the time we apply we should have copious documentation of our relationship over 2 years and our wedding. My fiance is on ODSP, and also has income from a small(no employees) consulting business ne owns. I have an ~50k/yr job in the states, which currently allows me to work remotely.

I am trying to determine how we can both move in together as quickly as possible and support ourselves with as much stability as possible.

There are several factors I have considered:

1. Once we get married it's possible ODSP will count our income together and reduce my fiance's benefits

2. I will likely need to quit my job prior to moving, but this may not be the case, due to the fact that my company has no canadian business and I can work remotely

3. If we apply outland I would not be able to work during the application process, but it would be vastly easier, and I think more in line with the intent of the law

4. If I were to move after quitting my job we would receive additional support from ODSP and I could also likely get assistance from family members. I would also be able to greatly assist my fiance in the managing of nir business, but I am unsure about the legality of this

The questions I am most interested in getting input on are as follows:

1. My understanding of the law is that I would be allowed to work remotely for a us company while visiting canada if that company does not do business in canada, but is this generally true in practice? Is this a red flag of any kind for immigration purposes?

2. Does anyone know whether ODSP usually counts a spouse in another country waiting to immigrate as part of the benefit unit?

3. If I apply and provide all the information about my current job and experience, then quit my job and move while the app is in process, would this affect the application, or would it be assumed that I would quit since most jobs of course could not be performed in both countries?

If anyone has input on any other aspects of our situation I would certainly be interested in hearing that as well. I understand this is a long post and I am very thankful for any and all responses. Please also let me know if I have left out important information.