+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship (inland)

Don96

Jan 16, 2021
hello everyone !

my partner came to canada as a visitor and been out of status for a while. we got married last july 2020. we are prepping the documents for the spousal sponsorship.

my question is should we apply for a open work permit as well ? or are we not eligible for work permit since he has been out of status.

thank you in advance for all your input in this matter.

bian07

May 19, 2017
He isn't eligible for a work permit until he receives "aip" - approved in principle, on the permanent residency application, which is towards the end of the process.

vickyraval

Sep 27, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am filling the forms of my wife's spousal visa application. I have a query regarding FORM IMM5406 IMM5406 Form Link

The instructions for Section A suggests the form needs to be filled-up by the person being sponsored Step by Step Instructions - IMM5406

My questions are as follows:

1) Under Section A for the second part, it asks "your spouse or common-law partner, (if this applies to you) ". I guess my wife (principal applicant) needs to provide the partner's details(sponsor i.e. me), is that understanding correct?

2) There is information asked about the applicant's Mother & Father. Is this required to be updated even though they are not being sponsored?

Thanks for your help in advance.