+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship- inland vs outland

natodincan

Oct 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your response!! I wish I had asked earlier...I could have avoided a lot of worry!

Just a few more questions?

1. My hubby has a 12 year old dependent who lives with his mother and will not be coming with dad to Canada. We will obviously have his medical submitted along with his fathers but is there anything else we should be aware of to avoid issues that might send us to LA?

2. He also has an 18 yr old daughter who chooses to not stay in touch with her dad right now. We have her address etc. but is there any other info we would need for the additional family form?

3. My hubby has two step siblings he has not seen for over 20 years. He doesn't know where they are or their addresses...how do we handle this? Do we just write a letter explaining the same and include it with our app?

4. That is awesome that he can come here on a visitor visa while awaiting pr but my biggest worry is obtaining the visa. When reading over some responses here on the forum, it seems like it is very difficult to get approved for. Especially since he would have to resign from his job and give up his apartment. What if he doesn't get the visa extended (assuming he is approved in the first place) and then he would have no job and no where to go?

Thank-you again, you have taken a huge worry off my mind!!! ;D

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
1. I don't think there are issues, but it's up to CIC where they send his application, and they have almost no transparency. So prepare for the worst and wait for the best!

2. If she is 18 at the time of your husband's application, I guess she could be listed as a non-accompanying dependent. (In which case she'd need a medical too.) I understand she's probably not planning to go anywhere with her dad, but CIC might still ask questions, so you might include an explanation, or proof that she is not his dependent.

3. Yes, just write (unknown) in the forms and attach a letter explaining the situation. There are people who don't know their fathers' birthdays or whereabouts but it seems to have caused no problem for many, as long as they attached an explanation.

4. If he is a U.S. citizen, he doesn't need a visa to come to Canada, and crossing the border for a "visit" shouldn't raise any suspicions, unless he is traveling with too much stuff (clothes and personal items, yes, but no furniture or appliances etc.). If they are convinced he is not an over-stay risk, that he knows he can only visit for 6 months or less then he needs to extend his visitor's status or leave, they should have no problem letting him through. If he doesn't have a U.S. passport, it may be a bit different.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
the biggest issue with non-accompanying dependants that send applications for interviews in LA seems to be when the children's other parent refuses to allow them to have medicals done and is not cooperating at all with the sponsorship. CIC takes separating families very seriously, so if there is an issue with the other parent not cooperating, and refusing to sign forms/get medicals done, then it seems to be the reason the file gets pulled into an interview. I *think* CIC needs to hear from the applicant directly that they understand it means they would be unable to sponsor their children in the future.

if the children's other parent is on board, and willing to help, that will definitately go really far in the application and for the most part people avoid issues. having the other parent write a letter expressing they agree to the sponsorship will also help from what i understand.