+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Inland application - URGENT Qs

Carina.rsm

Jul 6, 2015
Hi all,

I have some urgent and pressing questions about family sponsorship and I hope to leverage your expertise.

My boyfriend is on a PGWP that is going to expire on November 11, 2015 and he must leave the country by then. We have decided to get married and we plan to do this asap and I will be sponsoring him under the family sponsorship program (inland application). I am a Canadian citizen and qualify to sponsor him.
A couple of questions:

1. The marriage certificate takes 6-8 weeks to be received - can I apply for sponsorship and submit the documents before we have the certificate? I assume the answer is no, as the sponsorship application requires a marriage certificate to be attached.
2. If the answer to Q1 is no, how quickly can my husband return to Canada after I submit the sponsorship application?
2a. Since he will be outside of the country in this case, will this now be considered an outland application?
3. Once the sponsorship application is submitted, and he is outside of the country at that time, will he receive a work permit?
4. His Venezuelan passport expires next year. While our sponsorship application is getting approved, will he be able to leave the country (specifically for the purpose of renewing his passport in Venezuela).

Thank you all for your help in advance

Anxiously in Toronto

M

mikeymyke

1) No
2) It's likely he cannot return too quickly because he would probably have to apply as a visitor visa to return to Canada, and they might not think he will stay there temporarily since he's so quick to come back again. It wouldn't hurt to try to apply for a visitor visa for him however.
2a) Yes, because you cannot do an inland sponsorship if he is outside Canada.
3) Technically he's not supposed to leave Canada during the inland application. If he leaves and tries to return and is denied entry, the application will be refused.
4) He cannot leave the country if he's applying inland.