+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship from another country

gurps_cov

Sep 2, 2009
My wife is a indian citizen residing in India.
I am a British & Canadian citizen residing in UK.
My wife and I plan to move to Canada however I would like her to join me in the UK first, for a year until I get my move sorted out.

My question is, when I apply for Canada spousal sponsorship will my wife have to go back to her country of nationality for the application to be processed? Or can the whole thing be done in the UK e.g. interviews, medical tests, police certificates e.t.c

kc416

Nov 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2009
Doc's Request.
25-06-2009
AOR Received.
08-06-2009
Passport Req..
21-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2009
LANDED..........
03-11-2009
You can sponsor your wife and reside in a different country only if you are a Canadian citizen - so yes.

While in UK your wife can be with you but if there is an interview it will be done by the embassy you are applying though (in India - not in UK) Your wife can get her medical done while in UK as well as her Police check. She will have to apply for a police check in all countires that she has resided in for longer than 6 consecutive months.

Your wife might eventually have to go to India (unless in India the embassy couriers passports - maybe somene can clafiry this who is out of the same embassy). The embassy will call for her to drop off passport and then call again to pick back up the passport with Visa in it. (maybe they allow family members to do this on their behalf with written concent?) This visa is only valid until the medical is expired (1 year from completion) So you and your wife will have to go to Canada before the visa expires. You can then go back to UK but she will need her PR card. You can always leave the country and then get someone to mail you the PR card in UK so she can enter Canada again.

Good Luck!

gurps_cov

Sep 2, 2009
I was reading the form ""Application to Sponser and Undertaking".
Section C, Question 6 asks for the address of the person you are sponsoring. It says "Do you wish to have the application for permanent residence of the person you are sponsoring processed at the visa office responsible for this country?"

(assuming that I have given her UK address in the previous question)

Does this not imply that the whole process can be done in the UK i.e. including interview(s) ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your wife is legally admitted to the UK with at least a one year visa at the time you apply for her sponsorship, you can opt for the sponsorship to be processed in the UK. If she is not legally admitted to the UK but is staying there as a tourist, her application would have to be processed in India.

Medical checks can be done anywhere. Police checks depend on countries but I haven't yet heard of any country that requires you to go there to get your PCC. It can often be done through the embassy or through the mail. Only problem with India is I believe they do not allow passports to be mailed outside of India so if her processing is in India, she will have to send her passport to India to get the PR visa and they would have to mail it to her relatives address who I suppose can then have it taken via courier to her in the UK.

If an interview is required, it will happen where the application is being processed. The UK and India are both processing spousal applications fairly fast.

Since you are not living in Canada at the moment, you have the added responsibility to prove to immigration that you and your wife have plans to live in Canada when she gets her PR. These could include acceptance to college, job offer, having arranged housing and support letters from family and friends who know of your plans and state they will help you out and let you stay with them while you look for housing etc.