+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship but Already Applied Under QSW

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
My partner (Canadian citizen) and I (on work permit) are planning to apply for PR under common-law sponsorship in Ontario. However, I already submitted a PR application under QSW (Quebec Skilled Worker) a few months ago.

To apply under spousal sponsorship, do I need to cancel my existing application as soon as the sponsorship PR application is submitted?
Will the fact that I've applied for PR once before hurt the sponsorship PR application? I heard that failing a previous PR application could have negative effects. Is it the same case if I volunteered to give up my previous application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My partner (Canadian citizen) and I (on work permit) are planning to apply for PR under common-law sponsorship in Ontario. However, I already submitted a PR application under QSW (Quebec Skilled Worker) a few months ago.

To apply under spousal sponsorship, do I need to cancel my existing application as soon as the sponsorship PR application is submitted?
Will the fact that I've applied for PR once before hurt the sponsorship PR application? I heard that failing a previous PR application could have negative effects. Is it the same case if I volunteered to give up my previous application?
No - you don't need to cancel the Quebec application. You can apply through both programs in parallel.

The only way a refusal of the Quebec application can negatively impact a spousal sponsorship application is if your Quebec application is refused for misrepresentation and you are given a 5 year ban. Otherwise a refusal has no impact.

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
No - you don't need to cancel the Quebec application. You can apply through both programs in parallel.

The only way a refusal of the Quebec application can negatively impact a spousal sponsorship application is if your Quebec application is refused for misrepresentation and you are given a 5 year ban. Otherwise a refusal has no impact.
Thank you very much for the reply! I'm happy to know that i can have 2 applications in parallel. However, I do have another question.

The whole point of starting the spousal PR application is because my partner and I need to move to Toronto (he recently got a job offer there starting very soon). If I move to Toronto, it will be a violation of my "intention to stay in Quebec", which is what I stated when I apply for PR through Quebec nomination. So can I still keep my Quebec application while I'm staying in Toronto?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the reply! I'm happy to know that i can have 2 applications in parallel. However, I do have another question.

The whole point of starting the spousal PR application is because my partner and I need to move to Toronto (he recently got a job offer there starting very soon). If I move to Toronto, it will be a violation of my "intention to stay in Quebec", which is what I stated when I apply for PR through Quebec nomination. So can I still keep my Quebec application while I'm staying in Toronto?
You can certainly try but it will most likely be refused. If you're switching province and will no longer be able to demonstrate an intent to setting in Quebec, I might be tempted to cancel the Quebec application to avoid any risk this might be regarded as a misrepresentation.

pw123

Mar 16, 2021
You can certainly try but it will most likely be refused. If you're switching province and will no longer be able to demonstrate an intent to setting in Quebec, I might be tempted to cancel the Quebec application to avoid any risk this might be regarded as a misrepresentation.
Yes I do agree on that. I'll probably cancel the Quebec application as soon as we submit the file for spousal sponsership.