+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship application from Australia

Oz13

Jul 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am about to apply for my spousal sponsorship, So I want to know the timeline of people who have already applied. Also some tips would be really helpful cheers

Thank you

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi all,

I am about to apply for my spousal sponsorship, So I want to know the timeline of people who have already applied. Also some tips would be really helpful cheers

Thank you
You need to provide way more information than this. Inland or outland, country of applicant, marriage or common law, etc

Reactions: Oz13

Oz13

Jul 18, 2017
You need to provide way more information than this. Inland or outland, country of applicant, marriage or common law, etc
we got married in canada but right now I am in australia and she is in canada. I am applying from australia.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
we got married in canada but right now I am in australia and she is in canada. I am applying from australia.
So it sounds like you will be applying outland. Dec 2016 they streamlined the inland and outland processes. Inland typically took much much longer while outland has been known to move faster. They are now both targetting a 12m completion time. It is absolutely not out of the question that it can and might happen faster than this, but if you aim for 12 months you can be fairly confident you can plan accordingly and likely will not be disappointed.

You will also need to take a peek at your Visa Office (which is where the file should ultimately end up for processing) as some VOs are more or less efficient than others. I believe yours would be Sydney?

Oz13

Jul 18, 2017
So it sounds like you will be applying outland. Dec 2016 they streamlined the inland and outland processes. Inland typically took much much longer while outland has been known to move faster. They are now both targetting a 12m completion time. It is absolutely not out of the question that it can and might happen faster than this, but if you aim for 12 months you can be fairly confident you can plan accordingly and likely will not be disappointed.

You will also need to take a peek at your Visa Office (which is where the file should ultimately end up for processing) as some VOs are more or less efficient than others. I believe yours would be Sydney?
Yes, my visa office is in sydney.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Sydney thread is dead and no update this year :(
Got it, well, in any case, the process is the same in terms of application package, documentation, etc etc so there shouldn't be much variation there. Like I said, if you expect 12m you shouldn't be disappointed (assuming they uphold this target)

Oz13

Jul 18, 2017
Got it, well, in any case, the process is the same in terms of application package, documentation, etc etc so there shouldn't be much variation there. Like I said, if you expect 12m you shouldn't be disappointed (assuming they uphold this target)
well to be honest my target is 4 to 6 months :D when did you apply?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
well to be honest my target is 4 to 6 months :D when did you apply?
March. 4 months would be exceptionally fast and if that's what you're hoping for there's a good chance you'll be disappointed.

It does happen, but it's rare, and you have no control over it. We applied Mar 1 - so 6 months ago, Irish outland, and our file has been in process at the Visa Office since May with no movement or news since, which is totally normal and common. Just for context.

Once you submit you have to do the medical and submit additional documentation only when they specifically ask which is why I say 4 months would be exceptionally fast (not to mention 4 months is a third of their targeted processing time).

Last edited:

Oz13

Jul 18, 2017
March. 4 months would be exceptionally fast and if that's what you're hoping for there's a good chance you'll be disappointed.

It does happen, but it's rare, and you have no control over it. We applied Mar 1 - so 6 months ago, Irish outland, and our file has been in process at the Visa Office since May with no movement or news since, which is totally normal and common. Just for context.

Once you submit you have to do the medical and submit additional documentation only when they specifically ask which is why I say 4 months would be exceptionally fast (not to mention 4 months is a third of their targeted processing time).
yes I know that 4 months is kind of impossible but do you think around 6 months is a reasonable time to aim at?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
yes I know that 4 months is kind of impossible but do you think around 6 months is a reasonable time to aim at?
Like I said, aim for 12, you won't be disappointed.

For example, London Visa office averages around 8-9 months. I'll be delighted if we get it within that time.

Even 6 months would be fast, and while it's great to be positive, it would be unwise to make any plans based on when you hope to be done the process. Unfortunately, it's time consuming, there's a lot of waiting, and there can be some unforeseen circumstances that arise. At the end of the day, it depends on the visa office as well as the immigration officer assigned to you. It is entirely case by case basis.

Reactions: Oz13

Oz13

Jul 18, 2017
Like I said, aim for 12, you won't be disappointed.

For example, London Visa office averages around 8-9 months. I'll be delighted if we get it within that time.

Even 6 months would be fast, and while it's great to be positive, it would be unwise to make any plans based on when you hope to be done the process. Unfortunately, it's time consuming, there's a lot of waiting, and there can be some unforeseen circumstances that arise. At the end of the day, it depends on the visa office as well as the immigration officer assigned to you. It is entirely case by case basis.
I understand that and i will make my plans according to 12 months timeline :) I just wanted to see if anyone applied from Australia this year and how long it took him/her to get spousal sponsorship :)