+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship and Student Visa

irafikov

Jun 26, 2014
Dear Forum,

I am a Canadian citizen and getting married this month to a Russian citizen. I am going to sponsor my spouse to come and live in Canada with me. I am aware that spousal sponsorship takes around one year. She currently lives in Russia and we will start immigration process with her being outside of Canada, in other words we will do outland sponsorship. We also want for her to come and study in Canada after our wedding. School of course is going to be one of designated learning institutions. We were planning to apply for study permit after we submit application for sponsorship. We are aware that she may need to travel back to Russia in case immigration will request an interview.

As I was reading some articles and watching some videos on spousal sponsorship immigration to help me get familiar with this process, I was surprised to see that some individuals say that because we have sponsorship application in process it is possible that CIC may deny a temporary visa for my spouse. I could be mistaking it for visitor visa however and this may not likely apply for student visa.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this and what would be the best course of actions for us?

Thank you very much!

irafikov

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it's more difficult to be approved and this applies to study permits. Once someone is married to a Canadian, it is generally more difficult to obtain a temporary visa (e.g. visitor visa, study permit) since IRCC may think that this person isn't a genuine visitor or student but is intead using the visa as a way of moving to Canada sooner. If your spouse wants to go the study permit route, they should ensure their planned studies in Canada make sense in light of their previous work experience and education (e.g. if they have completed a bachelor degree, they should be planning on taking a masters in Canada).

Reactions: irafikov

irafikov

Jun 26, 2014
Yes - it's more difficult to be approved and this applies to study permits. Once someone is married to a Canadian, it is generally more difficult to obtain a temporary visa (e.g. visitor visa, study permit) since IRCC may think that this person isn't a genuine visitor or student but is intead using the visa as a way of moving to Canada sooner. If your spouse wants to go the study permit route, they should ensure their planned studies in Canada make sense in light of their previous work experience and education (e.g. if they have completed a bachelor degree, they should be planning on taking a masters in Canada).
Thank you very much for your reply.