fabianonetto

Star Member
Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hi everyone,

About the 3 years rule in the spousal Sponsorship program

Does anyone know if I cannot sponsor a second spouse under any circumstance before 3 years of my previous sponsored spouse's PR issue date or does that depend on some factors like my income or something else ?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi everyone,

About the 3 years rule in the spousal Sponsorship program

Does anyone know if I cannot sponsor a second spouse under any circumstance before 3 years of my previous sponsored spouse's PR issue date or does that depend on some factors like my income or something else ?

Thanks
1/ Nope, no way around it. If you have sponsored a spouse, you can't sponsor another one until 3 years after the 1st one has "landed"

fabianonetto

Star Member
Apr 29, 2011
Toronto
Med's Done....
Upfront
The reason for my question was based on what's written on the IRCC website

"
You can’t sponsor your spouse, partner or child if:

• you’re less than 18 years old
  • you won’t live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents
  • you’re not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • you’re a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or permit
  • your permanent residence application is still in process
    • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.
  • you don’t have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor (if applicable)
You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner if you:

• were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3 year undertaking to take care of this person."

I'm not sure but the first block says CAN'T and second one says MAY NOT which makes me feel that it can or can not be.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

"

• you won’t live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents
  • you’re not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • you’re a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or permit
    • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.
  • you don’t have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor (if applicable)

• were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3 year undertaking to take care of this person."

I'm not sure but the first block says CAN'T and second one says MAY NOT which makes me feel that it can or can not be.
It's black and white - you cannot sponsor someone else until the three year period has passed. No point submitting anything until then. It's guaranteed you'll be refused as a sponsor.

Linda_s74

Aug 1, 2018

"

The first block also includes "or child" so that's why it was split into two blocks.