+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal PR for non accompanying spouse

ViKa_2024

Aug 20, 2024
Hello All,
I applied for PR under the option of a non-accompanying spouse, even though my spouse is currently in Canada with me. Since our work visas were about to expire, after receiving the ITA, I applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit for myself, and my spouse applied for a visitor record to extend her stay with me, her visitor record application is still being processed.
I have a few questions regarding our situation:
  1. How long do I need to wait to sponsor her after receiving my PR card? If there is no waiting period, can I start the process based on my eCoPR?
  2. Since I have been issued a Bridging Open Work Permit, can I apply for an open work permit for her now? I heard that inland sponsorship takes a lot of time, and I can apply for a work permit after receiving the AOR. We are planning to travel outside Canada once we get our visas.
Kindly share your valuable suggestions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,
I applied for PR under the option of a non-accompanying spouse, even though my spouse is currently in Canada with me. Since our work visas were about to expire, after receiving the ITA, I applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit for myself, and my spouse applied for a visitor record to extend her stay with me, her visitor record application is still being processed.
I have a few questions regarding our situation:
  1. How long do I need to wait to sponsor her after receiving my PR card? If there is no waiting period, can I start the process based on my eCoPR?
  2. Since I have been issued a Bridging Open Work Permit, can I apply for an open work permit for her now? I heard that inland sponsorship takes a lot of time, and I can apply for a work permit after receiving the AOR. We are planning to travel outside Canada once we get our visas.
Kindly share your valuable suggestions.
1. You can submit the application to sponsor her as soon as you have PR. No need to wait for the card.
2. No. She is non accompanying. You have to wait until you submit the application and have received AOR before you can submit the OWP application. Note that the OWP does not allow her to re enter Canada. Make sure you don't spend too much time outside of Canada.

Reactions: ViKa_2024