+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit

jovialrish

Oct 13, 2020
Hi All,

I was on ICT and stayed in Canada for last 21 months and now back to India. My wife is still in Canada as her open work permit was valid. Now she got her study permit approved in Conestoga college for Jan 2021 intake. I am planning to apply for SOWP in the coming weeks. How long does it take to get the SOWP from India? As VFS are closed, so does the application progresses without biometrics?

jovialrish

Oct 13, 2020
I have not given biometrics to IRCC in the past. As it started after I came to Canada. And I guess the VACs are closed in many countries now. :(

mehataj

Oct 15, 2020
Hi,
I am in canada on study permit. Before flying to Canada we have applied spouse open work permit application to my husband. The application got rejected informing "I don't have a full-time student status in Canada" we have applied in the month of Feb 2020 and we received rejection mail in July 2020. I have reached Canada in August 2020, we have re-applied for spouse open work permit visa with all valid documents like enrollment letter, bank statement etc; We have submitted our previous application biometrics as they have the validity time. Now, with the change in the processing times, is there any way we can speed up or prioritize our application. Please advise here.

Meenu Manpreet gill

Oct 13, 2020
Wat I observed is we only can do wait.its difficult but no solution.its bn 7 months I applied OWP for ma husband n visiter visa for ma daughter n no update till today.i m not discouraging you but seriously no solution.if u get any relevant answer please let me know too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I am in canada on study permit. Before flying to Canada we have applied spouse open work permit application to my husband. The application got rejected informing "I don't have a full-time student status in Canada" we have applied in the month of Feb 2020 and we received rejection mail in July 2020. I have reached Canada in August 2020, we have re-applied for spouse open work permit visa with all valid documents like enrollment letter, bank statement etc; We have submitted our previous application biometrics as they have the validity time. Now, with the change in the processing times, is there any way we can speed up or prioritize our application. Please advise here.
Unfortunately no way to prioritize.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can we apply for a visitor visa while our open work permit visa application is being processed?
Yes. It will likely be harder to get a TRV than an OWP because your spouse likely wants to remain in Canada and is not coming for a short visit.

jovialrish

Oct 13, 2020
Do we need to write some letter of explanation for SOWP? Like where the spouse is studying and why am I applying for SOWP etc. ?