+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit

ourvisa

Jan 1, 2012
Hi,
Anyone applied/working on open work permit, based on their spouse's study visa. I have the following questions in that aspect

1. If my spouse chooses a 2 years Masters course in Canada, will she get student visa for 2 years or 3 years (one year to find job, etc.)
2. If 3 years, can I also get open work permit (on which I can work full time any job) for 3 those years as well.
3. Do we need to arrange our own medical insurance (how much does that cost)
4. We have a primary school going kid as well.. will be get any subsidy for his school fee
5. Any other extra charges we need to pay, which a PR does not have to.

Basically we are consider whether to go on open work permit or apply for PR and then goto Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ourvisa said:
Hi,
Anyone applied/working on open work permit, based on their spouse's study visa. I have the following questions in that aspect

1. If my spouse chooses a 2 years Masters course in Canada, will she get student visa for 2 years or 3 years (one year to find job, etc.)
2. If 3 years, can I also get open work permit (on which I can work full time any job) for 3 those years as well.
3. Do we need to arrange our own medical insurance (how much does that cost)
4. We have a primary school going kid as well.. will be get any subsidy for his school fee
5. Any other extra charges we need to pay, which a PR does not have to.

Basically we are consider whether to go on open work permit or apply for PR and then goto Canada.
1. The SP would/should be valid for 2 years + 3 months.
2. SOWP would be the same length.
3. Usually the University will arrange it for the first 3 months.
4. There are no school fees (unless you go to a private school) there maybe a fee of $25.00 on time for supplies.
5. Your spouse would pay international fees for school.

ourvisa

Jan 1, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. The SP would/should be valid for 2 years + 3 months.
2. SOWP would be the same length.
3. Usually the University will arrange it for the first 3 months.
4. There are no school fees (unless you go to a private school) there maybe a fee of $25.00 on time for supplies.
5. Your spouse would pay international fees for school.
Thanks PMM. My main motivation to come on spousal work permit rather than applying for PR and waiting, is that I plan to work there for 1-2 years while my spouse is studying. Then use that one year of Canadian work experience to get 600 points for the CEC in order to break into the Express Entry threshold.

Do we know for sure that the experience garnered while on SOWP and working full time will be counted for the 600 points?
Is it easy to find your first job while on SOWP. I hope the employers do not discriminate between a PR and a SOWP holder as both have similar work rights (except that SOWP is limited to 2-3 yrs)

velu05

Oct 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will get your 600 points only when you provide a positive LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment) for your job.