+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit after getting PGWP

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hello all,

I am a recent graduate who started working in the first week of April on PGWP.
I went to India early this year and got married in February. Then I came back to start my work on PGWP. Now, I am planning to bring my spouse to Canada. Currently, as the FSW PR applications are on hold, I can't apply for our PRs even though we have more points than the cut offs. So, I have 2 options to bring her here. Please suggest which one would be better and faster:

1. Bring her on Open Work Permit. I will wait until I get 3 pay stubs. I will receive my 3rd pay stub in Mid May. After that, I will apply for her open work permit with my employment letter, 3 pay stubs and marriage certificate. I am hoping the process should be done by September or before. (Do I need any other document for this application?)

2. Bring her on Tourist Visa. I can directly apply for her tourist visa right now. But I have heard that during this time of COVID, we need an authorization letter from IRCC to bring our spouses to Canada. We can only apply if we have that letter. Let me know if that's correct.

3. Another option is that I apply for both the things simultaneously. Is it a good option to apply for both Open work permit and Tourist Visa at the same time? As both these are type of TRVs, will there be a risk if I process both the applications together for her?

Let me know what's the best way to bring my wife to Canada.

Also, my job is under NOC Code (9213), skill type B and my wage is above the median wage of my NOC code (closer to the highest), so employment should not be an issue for me.

Thanks in advance.
Ronit

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need an authorization letter for either option and she needs to show her coming to Canada is essential. Option 1 is better if she plans to stay and not just visit. Both take months to process.

The issue is you married in February and returned almost immediately to Canada. You need to show that you have had a long relationship.

Last edited:

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
You need an authorization letter for either option and she needs to show her coming to Canada is essential. Option 1 is better if she plans to stay and not just visit. Both take months to process.

The issue is you married in February and returned almost immediately to Canada. You need to show that you have had a long relationship.
1. Do we need an authorization letter for Open work permit also? One of my friends got it without any letter. Can you share the source of this information if possible?
2. For the relationship, yes, I have had a 11 year old relationship. So I have photos from 2010 till now. I can show that, marriage certificate plus some other photos as well from the marriage and one other ceremony.

And one more question, how can we show her coming to Canada would be essential? I read that immediate family members, specially spouses, can join you. So something like a Job offer would be more relevant?

Please guide.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Do we need an authorization letter for Open work permit also? One of my friends got it without any letter. Can you share the source of this information if possible?
2. For the relationship, yes, I have had a 11 year old relationship. So I have photos from 2010 till now. I can show that, marriage certificate plus some other photos as well from the marriage and one other ceremony.

And one more question, how can we show her coming to Canada would be essential? I read that immediate family members, specially spouses, can join you. So something like a Job offer would be more relevant?

Please guide.
1. Unless you are travelling together, can show you normally live in Canda or your spouse has a job, a travel letter is required. All on the government website.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html#outside
2. Show marriage certificate.

Reasons for travel - you need medical support, job offer, help etc. You aren't a PR or a citizen so she may be immediate family but she needs travel authorization. Only immediate family members of PR or citizens don't need authorization.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
1. Unless you are travelling together, can show you normally live in Canda or your spouse has a job, a travel letter is required. All on the government website.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html#outside
2. Show marriage certificate.

Reasons for travel - you need medical support, job offer, help etc. You aren't a PR or a citizen so she may be immediate family but she needs travel authorization. Only immediate family members of PR or citizens don't need authorization.
Thanks for the explanation.

Two final questions,
1. What is the process of getting a travel authorization from IRCC? Is it an email, a web form or a proper application?

2. And do we ask for it once the open work permit has been approved or before applying for the open work permit?

Thanks in advance.
Ronit