+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPOUSAL - CAN I APPLY INLAND WHILE LIVING ABROAD?

Oct 30, 2014
Hello everyone,

Advice appreciated!

Do I risk a rejection if I apply inland while living (studying) abroad?

I have a green card and would be able to return to Canada without issue if an interview was required. I would not be living in Canada with my sponsor during processing though. Is this allowed?

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
stephaniemonica said:
Hello everyone,

Advice appreciated!

I have a green card and would be able to return to Canada without issue if an interview was required. I would not be living in Canada with my sponsor during processing though. Is this allowed?

Why would u wanna apply inland if you're outside Canada?
outland application is usually faster than inland..
Why would u wanna apply inland if you're outside Canada?
outland application is usually faster than inland..

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
No. To submit an inland application, you must reside in Canada with your spouse.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
stephaniemonica said:
Hello everyone,

Advice appreciated!

um, no. what you described is the definition of an OUTSIDE CANADA application. as the other poster mentioned, you can not be living outside of canada and apply INLAND. that makes absolutely no sense.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
stephaniemonica said:
Hello everyone,

Advice appreciated!

A green card doesn't actually guarantee you will be allowed into Canada. People with green cards (even US citizens) can be refused entry into Canada. In fact we just saw a case on this forum today where a US citizen was refused entry into Canada.

Besides, as others have said, you must be living in Canada to apply inland. Not an option for you.

Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I can clarify the situation somewhat.

I'm currently studying in Islamabad and will be done school in a year's time, at which point I would like to reside in Canada with my husband. I thought I might save a year in processing if I were to apply inland since processing takes 33 months in Islamabad and since it is currently 21 months inland. I do plan to be in Canada for a little while in the near future and wanted to submit an inland application at that time.

I do have a few concerns with applying inland. Namely, the appeal rights, that the reviewing officer will reject the application because I'm not living inside Canada at the time of processing, and that I will not be able to get into Canada if an interview is required (though I have never had an issue getting into Canada before). I take it from the replies that these are valid concerns?

I am also concerned because I would like to spend time with my husband after I graduate next year. And am unsure of how applying inland or outland might affect my ability to get a visitor's visa or to get into Canada with my green card..?

Any advice appreciated :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
stephaniemonica said:
I am also concerned because I would like to spend time with my husband after I graduate next year. And am unsure of how applying inland or outland might affect my ability to get a visitor's visa or to get into Canada with my green card..?

Any advice appreciated :)
The answer is simple and as others have already told you - to apply inland you must be residing and living with your sponsor INSIDE Canada. If CIC at any point during an inland application found out you were outside Canada for an extended time, they would simply cancel your inland application on you.

If you are outside Canada OR if you intend to travel/study/work anywhere else in the world during processing, the only choice is to apply OUTLAND.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Applying Inland isn't an option, as they will cancel your application as soon as they find out you aren't in Canada.

You could apply Inland after you finish your studies and come to Canada.

Or, go on the Islamabad thread and ask how long most people take to get PR - the "processing time" is not an average, so you'd better talk to people who applied in recent years to ask how long it took them and the people they know. (The "processing time" is how long it took CIC to finish 80% of applications. Which means, many people in that 80% were finished earlier or much earlier than 33 months. How earlier, I don't know, but the people in the Islamabad thread might be able to tell you.)