+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal application - permanent residency and work permit

markbram

Aug 9, 2012
Hi,
I am applying for my permanent visa from within Canada. I have all my forms ready, but I read that I can also apply for a work permit at the same time so that after the initial assessment I would be able to work. Has anyone got any expericence with this, and if so, what work visa forms do I fill in? They all seem to ask about job offers (which I obviously wont have 12 months in advance!)
Thanks in advance people.
Mark B

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You won't have a job offer, so leave those sections blank. You are applying for an Open Work Permit, which uses the same forms as the regular work permit application and takes the same fees to be processed. What you want to do is make sure you specify that the work permit application is NOT to be processed until you have been assessed for approval in principle (first stage approval).

TH78

Aug 7, 2012
Hello CharlieD10,

I have also a question about this topic:
I applied for permanent residency approx. 1 month ago from within Canada (live in Quebec) but didn't sent the work permit application whit it.

Under this circumstances, at what stage do you think I could apply for an open work permit?

Thank you in advance :)

Jun 19, 2012
markbram said:
Hi,
I am applying for my permanent visa from within Canada. I have all my forms ready, but I read that I can also apply for a work permit at the same time so that after the initial assessment I would be able to work. Has anyone got any expericence with this, and if so, what work visa forms do I fill in? They all seem to ask about job offers (which I obviously wont have 12 months in advance!)
Thanks in advance people.
Mark B
Mark, I just recently posted my application for PR within canada. I sent and paid my fees for the APPLICATION TO CHANGE CONDITIONS, EXTEND STAY OR REMAIN IN CANADA form, which is IMM 1249.

I TICKED THAT I AM APPLYING FOR 'C'

IN SECTION D , QUESTION 10 I ticked 'I want to change conditions' and where it says give the reason I wrote:
I am requesting an initial open work permit with 1st stage approval.
I have applied for Permanent Residency within Canada as a common law partner .

AS far as the job offers go, dont worry about it, just put NA on your document checklist. the form is pretty generic. My lawyer said what I'd done was correct.

And you dont HAVE to send this along with your PR application but it will hurry along your work permit if youre keen to get working as I am!

It does get a bit confusing when it says you have to post it to a different department address than your PERM RES. but dont worry about that, send it WITH your PERM RES APPLICATIONin the same big 'recorded delivery' envelope I actually put it in there in a smaller envelope with my name and address and 'OPEN WORK PERMIT' written on it just to make it clear to the people in Vegreville... seems like they need aqll the help they can get haha.

hope this helps guys.

markbram

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks everyone for the replies. That helps so much and relieves some of the stress of filling these crazy forms in!!

Good luck all!!
Mark