+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal application - inland vs. outland

sheikfa

May 16, 2011
Hey all,
A long time lurker.. first time poster here.
First off, have to say, this is an excellent forum - has been a lifesaver over the past several years.

So here is my question:

I am a Canadian PR. I just got married (in Nov); my wife is an international student from Pakistan. I want to sponsor her for Canadian PR. She still has 20 months of legal status (study permit + post graduate work permit) in the Canada. My understanding is that I can apply inland as well as outland.

Given my wife is Pakistani; an outland application will take 28 months compared to an inland application which takes 19 months.

However, under an inland application, I understand she can't leave Canada for the entire duration - even for vacations etc.? Is this correct? Additionally, under an inland application, if she leaves Canada, it automatically cancels her work / study permit as well as her PR application - correct?

I find this a bit difficult to believe / understand. Are these the standard procedure or just worst case scenarios? Can you guys shed some light here.

I would love to apply inland given the shorter processing time as long as we can still travel for vacation during the process.

On the other hand, if I choose to apply outland, the downside is that the application will take longer than my wife's legal status in Canada meaning that after her 20 month status is done; she will have to leave Canada - can't really imagine what I would do in that situation!!

So, what do you guys say?

Thanks a lot guys..
eagerly awaiting for your reply

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
They don't advise inland applicants to leave the country since you cannot complete the process unless you are inside of Canada. However, many people have managed to exit and return to Canada.

In your wife's case, with the permits she will have, she would most likely be readmitted to Canada. BUT, she must get a reentry visa if her temporary resident visa has expired!!! Her permits are not entry documents.

If I were you, I would do inland. You will be seperated for a long time otherwise, and the inland process is likely shorter. Either way there is no guarentee she'll be readmitted to Canada until her PR is approved.

sheikfa

May 16, 2011
AnnaBruce, many many thanks for the reply.

Currently, my wife's TRV and study permit are valid till Aug 2012; I will make sure we extend the TRV once she has her PGWP.

I am surprised to hear that many people have managed to exit and return to Canada under inland applications. This really helps. So are most 'normal' inland applicants able to re-enter Canada given appropriate permits / visas ? Or is this somewhat of an exception?

Apologizes as this is redundant but what about the warning on the application stating that the work / study permits can be cancelled if you leave during an inland application process? Is this ever applied?

Also, are there things which helps re-entering Canada?
e.g. both of us traveling together? having evidence of our inland application with us? a shorter (3 weeks) vs. longer (say 3 months) vacation?

Also, as for the inland sponsor; do I need to be in the Country through out the application? I work for a multi-national company and have been required to work out of international offices in the past (boston, asia etc.) for ard 6 month

lyrical

Star Member
Sep 13, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2011
Med's Done....
29-03-2011
LANDED..........
02-05-12
sheikfa said:
Hey all,
A long time lurker.. first time poster here.
First off, have to say, this is an excellent forum - has been a lifesaver over the past several years.

So here is my question:

I am a Canadian PR. I just got married (in Nov); my wife is an international student from Pakistan. I want to sponsor her for Canadian PR. She still has 20 months of legal status (study permit + post graduate work permit) in the Canada. My understanding is that I can apply inland as well as outland.

Given my wife is Pakistani; an outland application will take 28 months compared to an inland application which takes 19 months.

However, under an inland application, I understand she can't leave Canada for the entire duration - even for vacations etc.? Is this correct? Additionally, under an inland application, if she leaves Canada, it automatically cancels her work / study permit as well as her PR application - correct?

I find this a bit difficult to believe / understand. Are these the standard procedure or just worst case scenarios? Can you guys shed some light here.

I would love to apply inland given the shorter processing time as long as we can still travel for vacation during the process.

On the other hand, if I choose to apply outland, the downside is that the application will take longer than my wife's legal status in Canada meaning that after her 20 month status is done; she will have to leave Canada - can't really imagine what I would do in that situation!!

So, what do you guys say?

Thanks a lot guys..
eagerly awaiting for your reply
I had a very similar situation. We decided to apply inland because it's faster. 95% of the time (when u have a smooth application) takes about 12-13 months to get PR. if you're wife is already here, I dont see the reason for her to leave. if you need to travel overseas id recommend you to wait until PR is recieved. its true alot of people who have status leave and renter without a problem. In our case ,we have decided to wait since we dont have an emergency or a major reason to go out the country. better be safe than sorry. I think if she REALLY needs to visit to her country , the risk would be worth it, and I dont think there would be a problem to rentry since she got her study visa, and all that. Hope you find the way that fits better your situation. Cheers

sheikfa

May 16, 2011
lyrical, thanks for the helpful response. A quick question, is the 12-13 months timeline you quoted currently applicable?
Just wondering as the website says 19 months. Also, did you include the medical in your application?

From the inland thread, it seems that some ppl got their first stage approvals in ~6 months while others have been waiting for a year or so. Any ideas as to why there is such a big difference?? I understand there was some system change in July - does this mean that all post-July applications will get expedited?

Thanks and good luck mate; Hope all application gets done soon!!

lyrical

Star Member
Sep 13, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2011
Med's Done....
29-03-2011
LANDED..........
02-05-12
sheikfa said:
lyrical, thanks for the helpful response. A quick question, is the 12-13 months timeline you quoted currently applicable?
Just wondering as the website says 19 months. Also, did you include the medical in your application?

From the inland thread, it seems that some ppl got their first stage approvals in ~6 months while others have been waiting for a year or so. Any ideas as to why there is such a big difference?? I understand there was some system change in July - does this mean that all post-July applications will get expedited?

Thanks and good luck mate; Hope all application gets done soon!!
Its still applicable. if you check the thread 2010 of course you will find out that there's this 5% of people that had some sort of issue (security, medical, application transfer for lack of credibility) and they still waiting for a decision on their application while people who got their decision stop showing up right after. you can doublecheck this info by going back in time on the thread (as Idid).you will find that the major part got their two stages approval at the same time.

If you are really in a rush send your medicals with your application that can save you 2-4 months at the end. At the worst scenario you will have to redo them if you became this 5% and your process goes up a year which is the validity of the medical exams.

hope you make the right decision about the medicals.

sheikfa

May 16, 2011
Lyrical, thanks for the reply.

Does the inland security checks take nationality into account?
My wife is Pakistani - I know that Pakistani applicants face increased scrutiny for outland Applications. Is the security process similar btw inland and outland? Do they contact the consulate in Pakistan? I ask because this can delay the process quite a bit for us.

Whats your take on my other question below?
As for the inland sponsor; do I need to be in the Country through out the application? I work for a multi-national company and have been required to work out of international offices in the past (boston, asia etc.) for ard 6 month