+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship as an international student

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
I'd really love if people could shed some light on my concerns/questions. Here is a background story:

I got my PR rejected a few months ago and my work permit expires soon (Sep 2018). I am planning on taking a 1 yr program to extend my stay in Canada starting this September. My fiance and I are planning on getting married next Feb in our home country after which, she will be sponsoring me when we return to Canada (inland sponsorship). I'd like to clarify a few details:

1) Do I have to enroll in full time studies to be eligible for a study permit or can I do a part time program?

2) Can I have my dad show proof of his bank statement for my study permit application (if necessary)?

3) Can my wife to be sponsor me for PR while on a study permit?

4). If yes, can I send in an OWP + PR application together OR does it only have to be a PR application. My concern is that if I am a student, CIC will query the fact that if I get a work permit, I can no longer go to FT school.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'd really love if people could shed some light on my concerns/questions. Here is a background story:

I got my PR rejected a few months ago and my work permit expires soon (Sep 2018). I am planning on taking a 1 yr program to extend my stay in Canada starting this September. My fiance and I are planning on getting married next Feb in our home country after which, she will be sponsoring me when we return to Canada (inland sponsorship). I'd like to clarify a few details:

1) Do I have to enroll in full time studies to be eligible for a study permit or can I do a part time program?

2) Can I have my dad show proof of his bank statement for my study permit application (if necessary)?

4). If yes, can I send in an OWP + PR application together OR does it only have to be a PR application. My concern is that if I am a student, CIC will query the fact that if I get a work permit, I can no longer go to FT school.

Thanks
1. You can study part-time but would not be allowed to work.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. You can apply for the OWP. IRCC will not ask why you are changing your status from student.

Reactions: PR guy

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
You also have to get a study permit which may be difficult in your situation.

Thanks for your response. Why would getting a study permit be difficult in my case? Please throw more light. Also, just to clarify #1, so it is possible to get a study permit for part time studies and I won't be allowed to work but if I get full time studies, I can work 20 hours per week?

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks for your response. Why would getting a study permit be difficult in my case? Please throw more light. Also, just to clarify #1, so it is possible to get a study permit for part time studies and I won't be allowed to work but if I get full time studies, I can work 20 hours per week?
you can not be a part-time student on a study permit (only if it is your last semester at the university). Or otherwise you will have problems with your documents in the future. This is what i have been told by the consultant.

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
you can not be a part-time student on a study permit (only if it is your last semester at the university). Or otherwise you will have problems with your documents in the future. This is what i have been told by the consultant.

Awesome, thank you

PR guy

Mar 23, 2019
To qualify for a study permit you must show that you'll be returning to your home country after your studies.
Because I won't be getting another work permit, this should be enough proof to them that I will be going home afterwards

Krissh2179

Nov 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
14-02-2019

Thanks
Why was your PR rejected?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A person can be part-time on a study permit throughout their program. They just can't work and will not qualify for a PGWP. It will not cause "problems with your documents in future", whatever that means.