+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship application questions. Please help!

Oct 10, 2008
My common law partner and I have finally decided to start the grueling sponsorship process. We need help with a few questions. Thank you for your time.

What are the requirements for the birth certificate copy? Does it need to be notarized or registered?

Can the answers in the questionnaire be in short point form or in a paragraph form? How much information do they need cause I feel like we could almost write a short story as we have been together for 3 years?

Is there a medical exam that needs to be done before the application is sent in? If not is there an option to do so? I read something about an up front medical exam that could speed up the process.

Does the state police certificate need to come from the state he is currently living in (in Mexico) or the one he was born in or all states he has lived in?

What if my spouse can't remember the exact addresses he has lived at?

Is there going to be any problem with the fact that he overstayed and worked illegally in Canada for 3 years but is currently living in Canada? He was never asked to leave, returned home on his own.

Will it be a problem if I (the sponsor) am traveling back and forth between Mexico and Canada with no permanent address? Can I use my mothers address and not be living there?

We lost our lease agreement from our first place where we lived just over a year. is there any other way we can prove that we lived together for over a year? we have one lease agreement but we only lived in that place for 6 months.

Please someone help me with these questions as I need to go back to Canada ASAP and would like to bring my spouses application with me. I will be forever grateful! Thank you so much!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Birth certificate does not need to be notarized but it does need a certified translation if it is not in English or French.
2. Either point form or paragraph style is acceptable. Whatever you are more comfortable with that will also be convincing to the visa officer that your relationship is genuine.
3. Yes, he must have a medical exam done at a DMP in Mexico. The receipt from the medical must be submitted with the application package. He can find one here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=2041&CountryName=Mexico
4. He needs to provide state police clearances for all states he has lived in since the age of 18.
5. He needs to do his very best to try and remember at least part of his addresses.
6. You mean he is currently living in Mexico right? No, he corrected his overstay when he left Canada. And the illegal work won't impact a spousal application either.
7. You are applying as common-law correct? So you live with him. Your address is the same as his. But you can use your mother's address as your mailing address if you want.
8. Is it possible to get a notarized statement from the former landlord? That would help. If you can't, you can use bills or correspondence you received showing that you both lived at this address. Things like bank statements, credit card statements, etc.

Oct 10, 2008
rjessome, Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help. I do have a few more questions I would like to clear up.

Yes my spouse and I are currently in Mexico but unfortunately I am no longer able to stay here with him for financial reasons. So I plan to go home to work as soon as he is finished his application. My plan is to go back to Canada for three months and return here for a month or two and then go back to Canada again. I plan to continue doing so for the length of this process. I can't imagine after living together for 3 years to be apart for too long, we spent 7months apart last year and it was painful. I won't really have any permanent address. What do you recommend I do? Should I say that I am living in Mexico with him but traveling back and forth to Canada to work?? or does this mean we won't be considered common law?

My other question is where do I find the forms for the medical exam and how can he obtain state clearances from all the states he has lived in? Can he get them all from the state he is currently living in?

Thank you so much! So thankful for this site, very helpful!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to read through these guides and application forms first, all of them including the Regional Specific Guide for Mexico.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Instructions for obtaining police certificate for Mexico are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp