+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Spouse Questions

leafs7

Feb 6, 2015
Hi,
I had a few questions if anyone could answer, that would be greatly appreactiated!
I currently live in Australia until June, but my partner who is an US Citizen is going back to the states next month. We got married in New Zealand , not Australia or North America but have the Canadian stamp approved on the certificate and sent to Canada. I wanted to sponsor outland her now so by the time I get back we can live in Toronto, and she can legally work.
I went on the Canadian website and found all the forms etc, but I couldn't find some of my answers.
1.Do I as an Canadian Citizen have to apply for her sponsorship in Canada, or can I sponsor her at the Sydney Embassy, Australia? As I am leaving Australia in June, will the file be transferred to Canada?

Thanks, J.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
There is no option to send your application to the australian embassy because that's where the sponsor currently lives, that's not how it works.

all spousal sponsorships must be originated in Canada. The mailing instructions are in the guide on the CIC website. Both applications are sent TOGETHER in the same package and are mailed to mississauga. CIC will process the sponsor's application, then upon eligibility, they will internally transfer the applicant's application to the appropriate visa office abroad. For us Citizens, Ottawa is the visa office "abroad".