+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my mother or applying to assylum?

leon1234

Jun 8, 2009
I need some help from you. I have already received permanant residency in Canada and I live there about one month now. I am a graduate student in USA. My parents currently visiting me in US where I study. Our travel documents (not considered passports) given by the country we were staying but we do not have any citizenship, only residency. Now, my parents applied for asylum in US with a good cause, and now waiting for their response. I am thinking if for some reason that they may deny them asylum, can she go to Canadian border and apply for asylum? I know that there is the safe third country agreement however in our case will be an exception, number one that my parents have a family in Canada (i as their son), number two the Agreement does not apply to U.S. citizens or habitual residents of the U.S. who are not citizens of any country (“stateless persons”) which is in our case. ?????

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

The other option is that I apply for family sponsor for them as I am have a permanant residency in Canada, but that will take some time they might have to leave US after getting their asylum denial in US, and also i do not have any job in Canada yet, .what is the best thing to do for my parents in our case, so that they will not go back to the country they came, as we do not have anybody there, and we do not have a citizenship in that country only residency, and we do not have any property there or relatives? what should we do?