+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my father to Canada from Afghanistan - what are my options?

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
Hello All,

I am desperate and keenly looking for support and guidance.

My father is in Afghanistan with no other family members. I have been supporting financially all along which I have continued to do while living in Canada as well.
For the past 3-4 years, I have become eligible to sponsor him to Canada under the parents/grandparents sponsorship program that opens in the fall of every year. However, for the past 3 years, IRCC has announced not opening the sponsorship to new applications and still processing cases from 2020 (Covid).
This has been highly disappointing every year. Another option is Super Visa but whenever I read the requirements (overall stability of home country, ties to home country) I automatically see my father not being eligible for it.
This year again, I checked on the IRCC website and they are not opening up for new applications and I am devastated once again.
My father is 70 plus and has no other financial means or physical support.

I am looking for options and possibilities allowing me to sponsor him. 3-4 years have already been wasted waiting for the IRCC to open up for new applications. But he is only getting older and health issues will get worse. Time is running and I want to be able to do something before it's too late :-(.
Please, I appreciate your time, feedback and guidance.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

My father is in Afghanistan with no other family members. I have been supporting financially all along which I have continued to do while living in Canada as well.
For the past 3-4 years, I have become eligible to sponsor him to Canada under the parents/grandparents sponsorship program that opens in the fall of every year. However, for the past 3 years, IRCC has announced not opening the sponsorship to new applications and still processing cases from 2020 (Covid).
This has been highly disappointing every year. Another option is Super Visa but whenever I read the requirements (overall stability of home country, ties to home country) I automatically see my father not being eligible for it.
This year again, I checked on the IRCC website and they are not opening up for new applications and I am devastated once again.

I am looking for options and possibilities allowing me to sponsor him. 3-4 years have already been wasted waiting for the IRCC to open up for new applications. But he is only getting older and health issues will get worse. Time is running and I want to be able to do something before it's too late :-(.

Thank you!
The PGP program is really your main option and waiting for the program to reopen.

Economic immigration is not an option based on your father's age.

If your father can come to Canada on a visitor visa / super visa then you can try sponsoring him under H&C however this is not guaranteed and really only recommended if you are an only child. It sounds like you haven't even tried applying for a super visa, so suggest to do that next.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

Thank you!
Even if EOI for PGP there will be hundreds of thousands of applicants so that also doesn’t guarantee PR for your father. Parent sponsorship is not guaranteed especially given our ageing population and HC crisis. Agree that no harm attempting supervisa.

• Sad
Reactions: KatbiyaNazi

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
The PGP program is really your main option and waiting for the program to reopen.

Economic immigration is not an option based on your father's age.

If your father can come to Canada on a visitor visa / super visa then you can try sponsoring him under H&C however this is not guaranteed and really only recommended if you are an only child. It sounds like you haven't even tried applying for a super visa, so suggest to do that next.
Thank you for taking the time and reading my post as well as for providing your kind feedback. Much appreciated!
True, I have not even applied for a super visa for him. Just by reading the eligibility criteria, it feels like my father won't qualify (family ties in Afganistan - non, stability in home country - NON existent and financial stability in home country - NONE). He is dependent on me and I send him money through e-transfer regularly :-(.
Plus there is no Canadian consulate in Afghanistan so he will have to go to Pakistan which is another challenge. That's why I was not making him go there to apply for super visa if the chances are low for the approval but I think it is our only option at this moment :-(.

Thank you so much once again!

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
Even if EOI for PGP there will be hundreds of thousands of applicants so that also doesn’t guarantee PR for your father. Parent sponsorship is not guaranteed especially given our ageing population and HC crisis. Agree that no harm attempting supervisa.
Hello, thank you so much for your response. You have raised a very valid point :-(.
Who knew such a welcoming country like Canada would be so indifferent towards citizen/PR's parents.
Maybe supervisa is worth a shot.

Thank you once again!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello, thank you so much for your response. You have raised a very valid point :-(.
Who knew such a welcoming country like Canada would be so indifferent towards citizen/PR's parents.

Thank you once again!
So Canada gives out & your child asylum , and now you’re calling this country indifferent?

Nice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you once again!
Canada welcomes immigrants primarily because we have an ageing population. There is a good reason why younger immigrants are prioritized. Canada doesn’t have the infrastructure to accept a large volume of seniors. We can’t cope with existing seniors. There is also a significant cost associated with welcoming seniors.

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
So Canada gives out & your child asylum , and now you’re calling this country indifferent?
Thank you for your kind response. I don't think we have the same perspective and that's totally normal.
Who knew such a welcoming (welcomed me and my child) country like Canada would be so indifferent towards citizen/PR's parents (no option for my 75 plus years old father - not even for a visit).
I think as a child to my father, if I feel this way while being an abiding citizen and contributing towards the country's economy, I can say something that I truly feel in the moment.
I generally believe, if we have nothing good to say, maybe not saying anything is wiser. But no worries, I appreciate your feedback anyway since you took the time to read my post and send a response. Much appreciated!

KatbiyaNazi

Jun 13, 2019
Canada welcomes immigrants primarily because we have an ageing population. There is a good reason why younger immigrants are prioritized. Canada doesn’t have the infrastructure to accept a large volume of seniors. We can’t cope with existing seniors. There is also a significant cost associated with welcoming seniors.
Thank you for your feedback. Makes total sense :-(.