+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Husband and have some questions. Please kindly help :

Zainee

May 25, 2009
Hi everyone, I am new here in the forum. I have few question that I would like help on. I am a citizen of Canada and living in the USA with my husband since 2003. We have 3 children who are born in USA. Since I was a Canadian citizen at the time of birth, their are consider Canadian citizens ( note I have not applied for citizenship certificate for them yet).

Based on my situation, what are the answer to the following question:

[1]
Application to Sponsor and Undertaking
Form # IMM 1344 A
Section C
Question 2 to 4:
accompanying and nonaccompaning family members.
Do I have to put my children's name here?

[2]
Sponsorship Evaluation
Question# 3
your personal Net income ?

Note :I am unemployed now and my husband works. So I am his dependent here in the USA.

[3]

Sponsor Questionnaire

Q#10 :Were you yourself sponsored to come to Canada ?

[4]
Q11:
What kind of proof for re-establishment to proof based on my situation?

[5]
APPLICATION FOR permanent Residence in Canada

Page 2 "Details of Family Members"
DO I HAVE TO INCLUDE MY CHILDREN HERE

Also, the big question:
My husband temporary job contract will expire December 2010. According to the form it says that I as a Canadian citizen have to go back once his sponsorship is approved. So,for example if he is approved sponsership in Feb 2010, can he go land in Canada and come back finish his job the remaining month (until december 2010). And do I have to leave immediately ? or stay until he finishes his contract and go back together. I am asking because in the sponsorship form I need to Delclare a date when I will return to Canada and I must return upon his approval. So how strick are they. Do i have to come back to Canada as soon as he is approved ? or he can do the landing and we can stay in the usa until his job contract finished dec 2010.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to include your children everywhere they ask. But more importantly, why are you applying now? It sounds like you won't be ready to leave until December 2010. Are you planning to live in Canada a year without him? If not, you are applying too soon.

Zainee

May 25, 2009
I am a bit confused as the customer service told me my children are canadian citizen by desent (born to canadian parent). So why do I need to include them ? Just to clear up, these are our children (not from any previous marriage and stuff, also neither of us were married before). :)

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
You have to be in Canada when he lands.. or land with him..
They are your children and your husbands.. so on your side.. they would be listed as dependants..
on his side they wont be sponsored but he must list them as his children in Additional Family Members
[1]
Form # IMM 1344 A
Section C
Question 2 to 4:
NO

[2]
Sponsorship Evaluation
Question# 3

Note :I am unemployed now and my husband works. So I am his dependent here in the USA.
So write N/A
You write you are unemployed and that your husband works and sustains you as a family.
[3]

Sponsor Questionnaire

If you are a canadian citizen at birth you would answer NO
[4]
Q11:
Rental agreements, Job offers for you, education for you, letters from family members expecting your arrival and offering their support, bank accounts, anything that shows your ties to Canada

[5]

This is your husbands side and no he won't put his children here as they are canadian citizens by descent.

No he can't go land without you physically with him or not having residence there.. the whole point of the sponsorship is to live in Canada.. So I suggest until you are ready to live there you shouldn't apply..
As for your kids I think I explained what section they must go in..
They must also be put in IMM5406 Additional Family Information. They are his children whether they are Canadians or not.
Hope that helps

Zainee

May 25, 2009
Boncuk said:
You have to be in Canada when he lands.. or land with him..
They are your children and your husbands.. so on your side.. they would be listed as dependants..
on his side they wont be sponsored but he must list them as his children in Additional Family Members
[1]
Form # IMM 1344 A
Section C
Question 2 to 4:
NO

[2]
Sponsorship Evaluation
Question# 3

So write N/A
You write you are unemployed and that your husband works and sustains you as a family.
[3]

Sponsor Questionnaire

If you are a canadian citizen at birth you would answer NO
[4]
Q11:
Rental agreements, Job offers for you, education for you, letters from family members expecting your arrival and offering their support, bank accounts, anything that shows your ties to Canada

[5]

This is your husbands side and no he won't put his children here as they are canadian citizens by descent.

No he can't go land without you physically with him or not having residence there.. the whole point of the sponsorship is to live in Canada.. So I suggest until you are ready to live there you shouldn't apply..
As for your kids I think I explained what section they must go in..
They must also be put in IMM5406 Additional Family Information. They are his children whether they are Canadians or not.
Hope that helps
Boncuk: Thanks sooooooooooo much. I really appreciate your time.

So just a few more question:
1) When you say:
"They are your children and your husbands.. so on your side.. they would be listed as dependants.."

Is this form IMM5481 Question 6(B)

2) My parents immigrated to canada and I was their dependent. No one sponsor my parents.
so what should I say to "Were you yourself sponsored to come to Canada ?"

3) We all will go land with my husband. So, it means to complete his job contract he has to come back alone ? Or he can't come back at all. for example if he he land in May,2010, come back in USA July 2010 and complete 6 month of his remaining contract and then leave the USA for good. Will I be able to accompany him to USA. Sorry, for asking so many question. We are at a point in life that we want to settle down in Canada with our children. Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate a lot.

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008

1) When you say:
"They are your children and your husbands.. so on your side.. they would be listed as dependants.."

2) My parents immigrated to canada and I was their dependent. No one sponsor my parents.

3) We all will go land with my husband. So, it means to complete his job contract he has to come back alone ? Or he can't come back at all. for example if he he land in May,2010, come back in USA July 2010 and complete 6 month of his remaining contract and then leave the USA for good. Will I be able to accompany him to USA. Sorry, for asking so many question. We are at a point in life that we want to settle down in Canada with our children. Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate a lot.
Yes your children should be included in form IMM5481 6B and write their names on the back of the paper.

2. So you weren't born in Canada? because before you said you were Canadian Citizen at the time of your birth.
3. Yes you can all land together.. but again you may be required to show proof of your intentions as the sponsor that you will return to Canada. He can land for example in May 2010 and wait the 30 days to receive his PR card than he can come and go as he pleases and you as well. He just has to maintain his PR status which is being in Canada 2 out of the 5 years but if you are a Canadian citizen if he is living with you even in the states those days will count as well.. if he is alone they won't count.. So after he finishes his contract you can settle in Canada.. but to receive his PR card he will need a Canadian address.. so I suggest you arrange a rental home or perhaps you could stay with family..
ALSO I suggest you get your children's Citizenship certificates in order.. It takes 10-12 months to receive them so if you have an address in Canada I would have them sent there.. You can get temporary passports for them as well.. I'm not sure if they already have US Passports.. but for purpose of landing I think it would be best to have that in order as well

Zainee

May 25, 2009
Boncuk said:

1) When you say:

Yes your children should be included in form IMM5481 6B and write their names on the back of the paper.

2. So you weren't born in Canada? because before you said you were Canadian Citizen at the time of your birth.
3. Yes you can all land together.. but again you may be required to show proof of your intentions as the sponsor that you will return to Canada. He can land for example in May 2010 and wait the 30 days to receive his PR card than he can come and go as he pleases and you as well. He just has to maintain his PR status which is being in Canada 2 out of the 5 years but if you are a Canadian citizen if he is living with you even in the states those days will count as well.. if he is alone they won't count.. So after he finishes his contract you can settle in Canada.. but to receive his PR card he will need a Canadian address.. so I suggest you arrange a rental home or perhaps you could stay with family..
ALSO I suggest you get your children's Citizenship certificates in order.. It takes 10-12 months to receive them so if you have an address in Canada I would have them sent there.. You can get temporary passports for them as well.. I'm not sure if they already have US Passports.. but for purpose of landing I think it would be best to have that in order as well
Thanks once again.
For #2 of your question. Sorry for misunderstanding, but I meant at the time of the birth of my Children I was already Canadian citizen. So when my children were born , they are born to a Canadian Citizen mother. Sorry for confusion. Thanks once again for your help. I really appreciate. Also, yes we are applying for my children citizenship certificate in our nearest Canadian office in USA.
So, at the end of the process will they call both of us for interview (for sponsorship of my husband I mean).

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Zainee said:
So, at the end of the process will they call both of us for interview (for sponsorship of my husband I mean).
Your husband will get his COPR from Buffalo and he will need to bring that to a Canadian port of entry to "land". That's the landing interview - which is basically a formality. You should accompany him to the landing interview because, at that point he's entering Canada as a permanent resident (even if you turn around and go back to settle your affairs in the States afterwards) and since you are required to settle with him in Canada, you should be there with him.

Zainee

May 25, 2009
RobsLuv said:
Zainee said:
Your husband will get his COPR from Buffalo and he will need to bring that to a Canadian port of entry to "land". That's the landing interview - which is basically a formality. You should accompany him to the landing interview because, at that point he's entering Canada as a permanent resident (even if you turn around and go back to settle your affairs in the States afterwards) and since you are required to settle with him in Canada, you should be there with him.
Thanks so much for your reply. I am a bit confused. Won't he have an interview before "approval". I heard they interview the husband and tell you if you are approved or denied. I must have misunderstood something here.

And Thanks once again everyone for the quick help. I appreciate your time.

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Hey
The main reason why they choose to interview a spouse is if they have questions about the genuinity of the marriage.. In your case you are married for .. I'm not sure how long actually.. but you have children etc.. If they do interview him it is that they suspect the relationship was created for purposes of immigration.. Just make sure you supply plenty of evidence with your application.. Pictures from your marriage on through the years.. (I supplied 100 pictures for a 5 year marriage), letters, emails if you have them, etc.. I mean it gets tough if you have been married for a few years and have lived together for so long but you really have to supply them with enough to show your sincere in your relationship.. I digged up old flight tickets.. greeting cards, visa stamps as my spouse was far etc. The more you show the better.. don't take it lightly.. but I'm sure with your history and the support of that you show you won't have an interview..
The landing interview is another story :) If you will be driving up then you have a basic landing interview at the border.. Status of marriage, no criminal offenses..etc.. very simple. If you land at an airport its about the same..
As for the part about you being sponsored I think you would still answer No.. perhaps someone else can clarify.. Being included as a dependant maybe you would answer yes.. I think PMM could answer best..

Zainee

May 25, 2009
Boncuk said:
Hey
The main reason why they choose to interview a spouse is if they have questions about the genuinity of the marriage.. In your case you are married for .. I'm not sure how long actually.. but you have children etc.. If they do interview him it is that they suspect the relationship was created for purposes of immigration.. Just make sure you supply plenty of evidence with your application.. Pictures from your marriage on through the years.. (I supplied 100 pictures for a 5 year marriage), letters, emails if you have them, etc.. I mean it gets tough if you have been married for a few years and have lived together for so long but you really have to supply them with enough to show your sincere in your relationship.. I digged up old flight tickets.. greeting cards, visa stamps as my spouse was far etc. The more you show the better.. don't take it lightly.. but I'm sure with your history and the support of that you show you won't have an interview..
The landing interview is another story :) If you will be driving up then you have a basic landing interview at the border.. Status of marriage, no criminal offenses..etc.. very simple. If you land at an airport its about the same..
As for the part about you being sponsored I think you would still answer No.. perhaps someone else can clarify.. Being included as a dependant maybe you would answer yes.. I think PMM could answer best..
Hey Boncuk, thanks so much for your respond. I really appreciate :)

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
They may or may not interview him before approval - and that's also not always when they tell an applicant that they've been approved or not. Some people, at some embassies, have that experience - but not always. Typically, though, if they believe the relationship is genuine (and not just one entered into to facilitate the entry of the foreign national to Canada), the interview is waived . . . especially in the case of a marriage.

The "landing interview" is an entirely different thing. It is basically the finalization of the process when the applicant has been essentially approved for permanent status, and on entering Canada they're asked whether they've committed any crimes since submitting their application, if their marital status has changed since application, or if they have any dependents they have not included on the application. Formality. If everything is fine that way, they sign a couple of forms and are welcomed into Canada as a PR.

Zainee

May 25, 2009
RobsLuv said:
They may or may not interview him before approval - and that's also not always when they tell an applicant that they've been approved or not. Some people, at some embassies, have that experience - but not always. Typically, though, if they believe the relationship is genuine (and not just one entered into to facilitate the entry of the foreign national to Canada), the interview is waived . . . especially in the case of a marriage.

The "landing interview" is an entirely different thing. It is basically the finalization of the process when the applicant has been essentially approved for permanent status, and on entering Canada they're asked whether they've committed any crimes since submitting their application, if their marital status has changed since application, or if they have any dependents they have not included on the application. Formality. If everything is fine that way, they sign a couple of forms and are welcomed into Canada as a PR.
Thank you.