+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor = Representative, good or bad idea?

KevinHoping

May 19, 2012
Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen. I'd like to sponsor my common-law partner to become a PR. We're just about done putting together our application. Is there much benefit in me becoming her representative? Does that let me do anything I wouldn't already be able to do as her sponsor and partner, e.g. inquire about the case, answer specific questions about her end of the app if they call while she's at work, etc.?

Has anybody got experience with this either way?

Thanks,
Kev

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
It did nothing for us, the VO here in Kingston, Jamaica ended up sending everything to me anyways.

KevinHoping

May 19, 2012
In other words, you didn't fill out the form to be a representative, but basically had the same rights? (Like did you talk to them on the phone or have to do an interview?) Thanks again -K

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
It is not correct for the VO to correspond/speak with someone not listed as the representative or where an authority to disclose information is not signed by the person concerned.

If you want to be able to speak/correspond with the office invovled in making decision you need to be listed as representative or your spouse/partner provides written authority to disclose to you about the case.

While it is possible someone may improperly release information without the necessary authority you may run into someone who is doing the job properly and require this. If it is submitted it should be entered in the system to help avoid such frustration for you.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KevinHoping said:
Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen. I'd like to sponsor my common-law partner to become a PR. We're just about done putting together our application. Is there much benefit in me becoming her representative? Does that let me do anything I wouldn't already be able to do as her sponsor and partner, e.g. inquire about the case, answer specific questions about her end of the app if they call while she's at work, etc.?

Has anybody got experience with this either way?

Thanks,
Kev
It would allow you to call CIC's call center and ask questions on her behalf (otherwise they won't talk with you due to privacy concerns).