+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor and I returning to Canada, will my address be in CAN or homecountry?

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Hello again and sorry for the confusing title! It was kind of hard to try to summarize the situation...

Anyway so I'm, once again, clueless of what to do. My sponsor (common law) and I are currently living in Australia and have been living in Europe before that. We are now moving back to Canada in the end of November. I will just do my medical check and we'll get the statutory declaration of common-law union signed there and we will send the application right after.

We will live with my sponsor's relatives until we find our own apartment /my sponsor finds a job. So he will put Canada as his current address. But since I will be in Canada with a (hopefully 6 month) tourist visa, I cannot say that I live in Canada -Correct? And as I won't be in Australia anymore (even though I could stay here until September 2012) I won't use this address.
Do I have to say that I 'currently live' in my home country, Finland, even though I don't have plans to go there, unless my tourist visa runs out and I can't get an extension.
This would then mean, that my sponsor and I don't live together (even though we do), would this affect the application? We have lived together for almost two years without breaks so the common-law 'requirement' is fulfilled. But do we need to be living together when we send the application too?

So confusing! Any ideas?

I was thinking of putting FInland as my current address, but stating in a letter (like the one where i provide additional details of our relationship) that we are currently both in Canada and that I live in his apartment. Would this work?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi patkis, As you have residences in 3 countries, whether it is temporary or not, there could be confusion for filling the address.
You should give the Canadian address as Current mailing address because any communication from CIC will reach in that address, ( also phone, fax etc what are applicable) where you and your sponsor going to live for few months.

Also don't forget to include the e mail address which is more important.

About the residential address : same as mailing address : Tick YES.

When you are leaving Canada due to any reason of your visa, you can inform the Visa Office by e mail or letter about the change of your address, if necessary. Until then keep the Canadian address, which would be more effective and useful. Good luck!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Agree with wilson. Just put the Canadian address as your residential address. True, you're a visitor, but you actually will be living in Canada. Plus it makes it less confusing for the visa officer when the common-law applicant actually has a residential address with the sponsor. And many people filing outland who are actually living in Canada while waiting have used their sponsor's address as their residential address, and none have reported any problems. You can attach an explanation of the situation to the forms if you want.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Canadianwomen for mentioning:

You can attach an explanation of the situation to the forms if you want..

I used to read your posts about "family class" which always shows your expertise.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Alrighty, thanks guys! It's funny that I was not planning to put the Canadian address there, but I guess it makes sense. I was just so sure that if I'm a visitor, I cant say that I live in Canada. Although, in theory I don't, it's just my residence!

Anyway, thank you for your advice and assurance, it is greatly appreciated :)

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
OK, I'm back with questions!

I continued filling out the forms and listed Canada as my current address as you suggested (as I will be in Canada when sending the forms). I also included a little extra explanation on an additional sheet, I wrote that I'm in Canada on a tourist visa living with my common-law partner and if my visa runs out before getting a decision, I will apply for an extension or return to Finland to wait.

But the question is, can I also say that my 'current country of residence' is Canada? Or is that Finland?

Under the personal history part I listed my current 'activity' to be a visitor in Canada and did not put an end date to it.

How come it's the easy questions I can't answer :D

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patkis, As your status in Canada is on TRV, the current country of residence is Canada. Show in the status column Temporary Resident Visa. ( or Visitor visa )

Previous countries of residence column : Australia, then what all other European countries you lived.

About Finland - You can give it in the column above which is about your Citizenship: 1 Finland 2. (if applicable.)

Hope you are clear now.