+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special Needs- Cerebral Palsy Baby

madiha199-

Mar 26, 2023
Hi,
I know this has already been discussed in other threads but most of the posts are old. We have received ITA and our 2 year old son is CP. Since he has severe delays we are expecting PFL. What I want to know is what documentation we need to provide as proof. His current expenses are not much as most of the therapies are done at home. We take him for PT once a week.
Also has anyone with special needs child received PR? Most of the posts suggest it is not possible. Since my son is only 2 years old we cannot determine his costs accurately.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I know this has already been discussed in other threads but most of the posts are old. We have received ITA and our 2 year old son is CP. Since he has severe delays we are expecting PFL. What I want to know is what documentation we need to provide as proof. His current expenses are not much as most of the therapies are done at home. We take him for PT once a week.
Also has anyone with special needs child received PR? Most of the posts suggest it is not possible. Since my son is only 2 years old we cannot determine his costs accurately.
You should be working with a lawyer if you get PFL for your best chances of receiving PR. You will need to gather letters from his physicians about prognosis and future level of impairments. Things like whether he will be wheelchair dependent, any issues surrounding spams and muscle tone, current failures to meet milestones especially around physical milestones since cognitive ones are harder to measure at this age, etc. As a family I would also be looking at whether moving to Canada is the best idea. Do you have family currently living in Canada that will be able to support you? Most of the support to care for disabled children, even when they become adults, comes down to their own family. Without family and friends supporting you it will be very difficult. What will your future income be in Canada? Will your job come with private extended health benefits? Are you arriving with a job already secured for one of you? Canada has partial medicare. Many things are not covered or only partially covered. For example outpatient physiotherapy is not usually covered. You would get a certain amount of coverage through an extended benefit plan if your job comes with the ability to join a benefit plan. After you have reached the maximum amount of hours covered or partially covered you will have to pay out of pocket. Will it be possible to live on one income? Even if your child attends school the school day is shorter than typical working hours. For many children parents pay for after school (and even before school) care but that is rarely available for children disabilities. If your child has many appointments and hospital stays that can be incompatible with many jobs. There is only so much public care provided and it is actually quite minimal in most cases. Many people expectation’s of the support they will receive in Canada is very different with what will actually be provided. Is there a reason you are wanting to immigrate to Canada? I would suggest speaking to some parents with children with CP at various ages including after 21 when school ends so children often remain at home 24/7 and care falls mostly (or entirely) on the family. I would also talk to parents in different provinces because access to services will vary by province. CP can have a huge range of impairments but if your child is expected to have quite a few limitations then it is important to have realistic expectations when it comes to what you can expect in Canada. I know having a disabled child can be very hard on a marriage and a family which is why many couples end up getting divorced. The amount of time and pressure financially that comes with caring with a child with a disability can be very difficult which is why having a support network is very important.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

madiha199-

Mar 26, 2023
You should be working with a lawyer if you get PFL for your best chances of receiving PR. You will need to gather letters from his physicians about prognosis and future level of impairments. Things like whether he will be wheelchair dependent, any issues surrounding spams and muscle tone, current failures to meet milestones especially around physical milestones since cognitive ones are harder to measure at this age, etc. As a family I would also be looking at whether moving to Canada is the best idea. Do you have family currently living in Canada that will be able to support you? Most of the support to care for disabled children, even when they become adults, comes down to their own family. Without family and friends supporting you it will be very difficult. What will your future income be in Canada? Will your job come with private extended health benefits? Are you arriving with a job already secured for one of you? Canada has partial medicare. Many things are not covered or only partially covered. For example outpatient physiotherapy is not usually covered. You would get a certain amount of coverage through an extended benefit plan if your job comes with the ability to join a benefit plan. After you have reached the maximum amount of hours covered or partially covered you will have to pay out of pocket. Will it be possible to live on one income? Even if your child attends school the school day is shorter than typical working hours. For many children parents pay for after school (and even before school) care but that is rarely available for children disabilities. If your child has many appointments and hospital stays that can be incompatible with many jobs. There is only so much public care provided and it is actually quite minimal in most cases. Many people expectation’s of the support they will receive in Canada is very different with what will actually be provided. Is there a reason you are wanting to immigrate to Canada? I would suggest speaking to some parents with children with CP at various ages including after 21 when school ends so children often remain at home 24/7 and care falls mostly (or entirely) on the family. I would also talk to parents in different provinces because access to services will vary by province. CP can have a huge range of impairments but if your child is expected to have quite a few limitations then it is important to have realistic expectations when it comes to what you can expect in Canada. I know having a disabled child can be very hard on a marriage and a family which is why many couples end up getting divorced. The amount of time and pressure financially that comes with caring with a child with a disability can be very difficult which is why having a support network is very important.
Thank you so much for such a detailed answer. We already have an agent but I also feel like we should look for an Immigration Lawyer. You are right we should definitely consider the points that you have mentioned. Actually one of the main reasons for immigration is less financial support for us and more of an acceptance in the society and how a special needs child is looked at by the people in the surrounding. But your other points are valid. Thank you again. Appreciate the help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for such a detailed answer. We already have an agent but I also feel like we should look for an Immigration Lawyer. You are right we should definitely consider the points that you have mentioned. Actually one of the main reasons for immigration is less financial support for us and more of an acceptance in the society and how a special needs child is looked at by the people in the surrounding. But your other points are valid. Thank you again. Appreciate the help.
You really need a lawyer to respond to a PFL not a consultant. I would also supervise the lawyer to make sure they are truly represent your case. I agree that the view of disabled people is better in Canada than in many places. Many people are under the false impression that they will be better off financially in Canada with their disabled child. If you come from a middle class background in a place like India for example you will be able to pay out of pocket for substantially more help that you would have to do yourself in Canada and have to pay significantly more out of pocket since things are much more expensive in Canada. It also really depends on the extent of disability. Some children that have CP grow up to be adults who are able to have crutches and braces but are also able to attend university and go on to have a job like any other graduate while others are wheelchair bound and have more cognitive issues. If your child has minor disabilities then Canada would likely be a better place because it is a more accepting environment. Certainly not perfect but more accepting of disabilities. I had to pay 5k a year for multiple years to get physiotherapy for a chronic condition. I did not have extended benefits through my work. Had I not been able to pay out of pocket I would have had to go without. Most extended benefit plans would not have covered 5k of PT a year. If you wanted to pay out of pocket for a personal support worker the private rate is currently $20-25/hr I believe these days which is unaffordable for most. This is why family ends up doing most of the caregiving. I would suggest trying to make contact with other parents of children with CP in Canada through Reddit or Facebook to get a more realistic picture of what you can expect in Canada. What are the types of support you can receive but what are the costs and what are you expected to take on as a family. I think you will find the the support received is not much compared to the costs, loss of income if one parent can’t work or can’t work full-time and caregiving requirements
but what are the costs. What can be expected in terms of schooling or programs. What about summer and other school holidays? If your child is in a wheelchair how much does it cost to get a wheelchair accessible car? What medical devices are covered by public healthcare and what is covered by an extended benefit plan. Thinks like various braces, wheelchairs, hoists, special beds, etc. Can you get any respite care and how much can you get a year? Respite care is often provided through charitable organizations and are in limited supply and not available in all regions. Would ask parents how much they depend on family members for support to get by. Would suggest exploring these issues before you pay money to pursue a PFL because that will be thousands of dollars.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
You really need a lawyer to respond to a PFL not a consultant. I would also supervise the lawyer to make sure they are truly represent your case. I agree that the view of disabled people is better in Canada than in many places. Many people are under the false impression that they will be better off financially in Canada with their disabled child. If you come from a middle class background in a place like India for example you will be able to pay out of pocket for substantially more help that you would have to do yourself in Canada and have to pay significantly more out of pocket since things are much more expensive in Canada. It also really depends on the extent of disability. Some children that have CP grow up to be adults who are able to have crutches and braces but are also able to attend university and go on to have a job like any other graduate while others are wheelchair bound and have more cognitive issues. If your child has minor disabilities then Canada would likely be a better place because it is a more accepting environment. Certainly not perfect but more accepting of disabilities. I had to pay 5k a year for multiple years to get physiotherapy for a chronic condition. I did not have extended benefits through my work. Had I not been able to pay out of pocket I would have had to go without. Most extended benefit plans would not have covered 5k of PT a year. If you wanted to pay out of pocket for a personal support worker the private rate is currently $20-25/hr I believe these days which is unaffordable for most. This is why family ends up doing most of the caregiving. I would suggest trying to make contact with other parents of children with CP in Canada through Reddit or Facebook to get a more realistic picture of what you can expect in Canada. What are the types of support you can receive but what are the costs and what are you expected to take on as a family. I think you will find the the support received is not much compared to the costs, loss of income if one parent can’t work or can’t work full-time and caregiving requirements
but what are the costs. What can be expected in terms of schooling or programs. What about summer and other school holidays? If your child is in a wheelchair how much does it cost to get a wheelchair accessible car? What medical devices are covered by public healthcare and what is covered by an extended benefit plan. Thinks like various braces, wheelchairs, hoists, special beds, etc. Can you get any respite care and how much can you get a year? Respite care is often provided through charitable organizations and are in limited supply and not available in all regions. Would ask parents how much they depend on family members for support to get by. Would suggest exploring these issues before you pay money to pursue a PFL because that will be thousands of dollars.
I just read threads for info, but you being here since 2017 and sharing thoughtful info is wholesome. :)

I hope OP found it helpful.