+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Speaking notes for John McCallum - June 14th

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
Link: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1086189

He says in his speaking notes that "we’ve increased the number of spouses allowed this year by 12,000". Isn't that number supposed to be 14,000? That's what the June 13th notice from CIC said (see here).

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well clearly one of the two pages have their numbers mixed up, or maybe they changed it again and he wasn't informed about it or the other way around.
Or maybe it's a misstype, at least the number isn't wayyyyyy off haha. :p

So I always wondered if they reach their cap, will they ignore or delay the other applications till the next year?

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
yamgia said:
Well clearly one of the two pages have their numbers mixed up, or maybe they changed it again and he wasn't informed about it or the other way around.
Or maybe it's a misstype, at least the number isn't wayyyyyy off haha. :p

So I always wondered if they reach their cap, will they ignore or delay the other applications till the next year?
That was going to be my next question actually. I thought only parents/grandparents had a cap.

It would be pretty bad if the spouses stream has a cap as well. Ottawa is going to process all their apps quickly and reach that cap sooner, and then all the other applicants being processed at London/Singapore/HK will just get left in the dust. I hope I'm wrong...

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rand75 said:
That was going to be my next question actually. I thought only parents/grandparents had a cap.

It would be pretty bad if the spouses stream has a cap as well. Ottawa is going to process all their apps quickly and reach that cap sooner, and then all the other applicants being processed at London/Singapore/HK will just get left in the dust. This is so stupid.
Yea i'm worried about that too, but they did say they increased the cap, so there was a cap this whole time then right..?
But CIC states that the cap raise is for the backlog, and that "new" applications aren't included in the backlog changes.
So maybe it means they raised the cap on backlogs and have a different cap (or no cap at all) for newer applications.
Or maybe every office has it's own secret cap to make it more fair (which seem more likely tbh).

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
yamgia said:
Yea i'm worried about that too, but they did say they increased the cap, so there was a cap this whole time then right..?
But CIC states that the cap raise is for the backlog, and that "new" applications aren't included in the backlog changes.
So maybe it means they raised the cap on backlogs and have a different cap (or no cap at all) for newer applications.
Or maybe every office has it's own secret cap to make it more fair (which seem more likely tbh).
No it seems like that number is a total across all offices. Actually, having looked at the numbers of immigrants by country of origin, I wouldn't really worry. The applicants being processed at Ottawa (country of origin USA and sometimes UK) are actually a relatively small percentage of the whole.

Still, that doesn't answer the question of what they mean by "immigration levels" and whether that really means there is a cap for spousal applications.

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rand75 said:
No it seems like that number is a total across all offices. Actually, having looked at the numbers of immigrants by country of origin, I wouldn't really worry. The applicants being processed at Ottawa (country of origin USA and sometimes UK) are actually a relatively small percentage of the whole.

Still, that doesn't answer the question of what they mean by "immigration levels" and whether that really means there is a cap for spousal applications.
My country isn't even on there haha (shame I was curious about that). But more and more people from different countries seem to be send and processed at Otawa latley tho (outside uk and usa).

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was a cap the whole time.. It's hard to tell with the big backlog they created. And I know a lot of countries do have a cap on stuff like this, to "control" it better.
But like I said before the increased amount is about the backlogs (atleast on the notice from 13 june on cic), which newer applications don't fall under. So its quite possible that the "old cap + new cap" is a estimate of the amount of applications they think they can handle of the backlog within a year or more like a "goal". Or that the increased cap of 12,000/14,000 is the x amount applications they can handle within a year of the backlog. And that the "old cap" is for newer applications.

Honestly I don't think we will be able to find out till it actually happens..