+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP

Annne

Sep 24, 2019
Hi guys
I've got my student visa late so I had to defer my course, is it possible to apply for OWP for my husband now so we can land together? Or should we wait after starting next intake?

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Hi guys
I've got my student visa late so I had to defer my course, is it possible to apply for OWP for my husband now so we can land together? Or should we wait after starting next intake?

Hi. Are you starting by January? You can apply either way (prior or once in Canada). It may be best to include reasons why on your initial application partner was non accompanying and now will be accompanying you (ex. Perhaps both of you realized the importance of each other's support etc...). Also include your updated loa on your partner's app. Best of luck :)

Reactions: Annne

Annne

Sep 24, 2019
Hi. Are you starting by January? You can apply either way (prior or once in Canada). It may be best to include reasons why on your initial application partner was non accompanying and now will be accompanying you (ex. Perhaps both of you realized the importance of each other's support etc...). Also include your updated loa on your partner's app. Best of luck :)
No, I'm starting by September 2020, I've heard we should wait until starting date and I should enroll in university first, so is it not true?

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
No, I'm starting by September 2020, I've heard we should wait until starting date and I should enroll in university first, so is it not true?
Not sure in my case though i applied together with my spouse directly last 8/29 got approval on 9/12 for January 2020 classes. For my spouse he only included my letter of acceptance and receipt of tuition fee payment. In your case though if you want your spouse to travel with you it maybe best to apply for your spouse 2-3 mos prior classes as approval may take time but not too early ive read somewhere in this forum spouse was declined and part of the refusal notes was it was still too early a lot can still happen..something to that effect though it may be case to case. Best to have further inputs from seniors :)

Reactions: Annne

Annne

Sep 24, 2019
Not sure in my case though i applied together with my spouse directly last 8/29 got approval on 9/12 for January 2020 classes. For my spouse he only included my letter of acceptance and receipt of tuition fee payment. In your case though if you want your spouse to travel with you it maybe best to apply for your spouse 2-3 mos prior classes as approval may take time but not too early ive read somewhere in this forum spouse was declined and part of the refusal notes was it was still too early a lot can still happen..something to that effect though it may be case to case. Best to have further inputs from seniors :)
Thank you for your help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would apply 5 months in advance but you can technically apply now if you want. You may want to apply early because there is a chance you could get refused. This would allow for time to apply again. You will have to include updated admission letter for the Sept 2020 start date. No need to apply when in Canada but it often works out this way because most people have much longer processing times than @MsCutler who seems to have extra fast processing. Including SOWP with study permit often slows down applications and many want to secure WP while not wanting to seem that they are only seeking immigration. Assume @MsCutler is pursuing masters or PhD.

Reactions: Annne and MsCutler

MsCutler

Star Member
Sep 12, 2019
Would apply 5 months in advance but you can technically apply now if you want. You may want to apply early because there is a chance you could get refused. This would allow for time to apply again. You will have to include updated admission letter for the Sept 2020 start date. No need to apply when in Canada but it often works out this way because most people have much longer processing times than @MsCutler who seems to have extra fast processing. Including SOWP with study permit often slows down applications and many want to secure WP while not wanting to seem that they are only seeking immigration. Assume @MsCutler is pursuing masters or PhD.
No Im not pursuing Masters/PhD. Im taking a PG program. Im from the Philippines and we are eligible for the SDS stream - may have expedited processing given if you meet the requirements, this may be the reason why I had faster processing since I met the reqs though for some (via sds) with spouse/fam still took some time so it may be case to case.

Khurram_1980uk

Star Member
May 8, 2020
Hi guys, i need some help. I am a UK citizen and applying for my study permit for Canada for May 2021 intake. I already have the offer letter. My question is how do i apply together for my study permit and my wife's spouse OWP together as in 1 application? What application form do i need to use for SOWP and what documents do i need to provide as i dont yet have a study permit.....

Also i have two minor children so what visa i need to apply for them? Will it be study permit as well? Keep in mind that being a UK citizen we dont need TRV. We just need ETA which we all already have so for monor children what form do i need to use and what visa or permit i have to apply?

Also do i need to make 4 separate GC key accounts for 4 separate applications or i can simply apply all 4 applicatioms from 1 GC key account that i have for my study permit?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks