+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP to study visa

BinarySingh

Jun 5, 2019
Hi All,

My husband came to Canada on study visa and during his PGWP I joined him with our child on SOWP but I was not working as our child is too young.
Now his PGWP is ending in september and we are looking for a way to extend our stay. I am planning to take up a master degree here and have some questions regarding it

1. Am I even eligible to apply for study visa if yes what are the chances of getting a study visa from my current SOWP visa status?
  2. Since I will be on study visa, can I move my husband to SOWP? If yes, do I apply for
    a) his SOWP along with my study visa application
    b) wait for my study visa and once I get it immediately apply for his SOWP
    c) wait to complete 1st semester before applying his SOWP
  3. I am planning to take an online course. Are 100% online courses eligible for PGWP?
    Note - I will still be physically present in Canada during the course
I completed my highest education (bachelors) in 2016 after which I worked till 2020 and now planning to take a masters course.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi All,

My husband came to Canada on study visa and during his PGWP I joined him with our child on SOWP but I was not working as our child is too young.
Now his PGWP is ending in september and we are looking for a way to extend our stay. I am planning to take up a master degree here and have some questions regarding it

1. Am I even eligible to apply for study visa if yes what are the chances of getting a study visa from my current SOWP visa status?
  2. Since I will be on study visa, can I move my husband to SOWP? If yes, do I apply for
  3. I am planning to take an online course. Are 100% online courses eligible for PGWP?
I completed my highest education (bachelors) in 2016 after which I worked till 2020 and now planning to take a masters course.
You can apply for study permit if you are eligible.

Your spouse cannot apply for SOWP under your study permit. IRCC has closed off the loop hole.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

Would add that online masters will not count towards PGWP and chances of being approved for a study permit for an online masters is likely pretty low. You don’t need to be in Canada if taking an online program so defeat the purpose of needing a study permit.

Reactions: BinarySingh

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Can you please share a reference link to this?
You can study at a DLI if you show funds and justify costs. An online program is not eligible for PGWP. What school have you gained admission to?

Your spouse is not eligible for SOWP, and will need a LMIA with closed work permit or can stay as a visitor. The policy was changed in 2021.

This loophole previously allowed spouses and common-law partners to “flip-flop” between who was the principal status holder (the student or the worker), and then become the spousal open work permit holder themselves as their own spouse either went to school or began working in an eligible job. This was done in order to continue remaining in Canada as a temporary resident and gaining eligible work experience for a PR application, and is no longer possible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c42.html

Last edited: