+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP after spouse’s graduation and PGWP

Balou

Jun 24, 2024
Hi all, following scenario: my spouse has a study permit which allowed me to get a SOWP. Both our permits are valid until february 4, 2025. Spouse will graduate in fall, i.e. before the study permit expires. I know my SOWP should remain valid until the date stated on the document (jan 4, 2025) even if spouse graduates ahead of time BUT there is a Remarks/Observations section at the bottom of my permit which states: document valid to expiry of spouse’s SP.

Now here are my questions I was hoping to get answers to:
1. does my SOWP continue to be valid until the date stated on it? I assume not because of the remark/observation.
2. when does spouse’s SP expire? Should be 90 days from the date the university sends the letter of completion correct?
3. similar to above: when does my SOWP become invalid? Is it after the 90 days after spouse’s letter-of-completion-date? Do I have the same 90 days grace period with the SOWP?
4. if spouse applies for and receives PGWP does that make my SOWP invalid?

Any input to the questions above would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

lilyelliott4

Jun 5, 2024
Albania
Hi all,

Here are some answers to your questions based on the scenario you provided:

1. Validity of SOWP with Remark/Observation:
- The note on your SOWP stating "document valid to expiry of spouse’s SP" means your SOWP is directly linked to your spouse’s study permit (SP). If your spouse’s SP expires or becomes invalid, your SOWP would also become invalid, regardless of the date on it.

2. Spouse’s SP Expiry:
- Your spouse's study permit generally remains valid until the expiry date on the document. However, after completing their program, they have 90 days from the date the university issues the letter of completion to either apply for a new permit (like a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)) or leave Canada.

3. Validity of SOWP Post Completion:
- Your SOWP would become invalid at the same time as your spouse's study permit. If the university issues a letter of completion, your spouse's SP and your SOWP would both become invalid 90 days from that date.

4. Effect of Spouse Receiving PGWP on SOWP:
- If your spouse applies for and receives a PGWP, you can potentially extend your SOWP. You would need to meet the eligibility requirements for a spousal open work permit based on your spouse’s employment status under the PGWP and apply for an extension accordingly.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions and doubts on graduation gifts, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Reactions: Balou

Balou

Jun 24, 2024
Hi all,

Here are some answers to your questions based on the scenario you provided:

1. Validity of SOWP with Remark/Observation:
- The note on your SOWP stating "document valid to expiry of spouse’s SP" means your SOWP is directly linked to your spouse’s study permit (SP). If your spouse’s SP expires or becomes invalid, your SOWP would also become invalid, regardless of the date on it.

2. Spouse’s SP Expiry:
- Your spouse's study permit generally remains valid until the expiry date on the document. However, after completing their program, they have 90 days from the date the university issues the letter of completion to either apply for a new permit (like a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)) or leave Canada.

3. Validity of SOWP Post Completion:
- Your SOWP would become invalid at the same time as your spouse's study permit. If the university issues a letter of completion, your spouse's SP and your SOWP would both become invalid 90 days from that date.

4. Effect of Spouse Receiving PGWP on SOWP:
- If your spouse applies for and receives a PGWP, you can potentially extend your SOWP. You would need to meet the eligibility requirements for a spousal open work permit based on your spouse’s employment status under the PGWP and apply for an extension accordingly.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions and doubts on graduation gifts, feel free to ask.

Thanks!
Thanks you for your response! Very helpful!

Regarding point 4: we’re expecting our first child so my spouse will most likely be in parental leave by the time she gets her PGWP so no job, no payslips for a little while. Would the safest bet be to change my status to visitor before the letter of completion + 90 days to make sure I don’t lose status?

We are also planning to apply for PR which would make all of the above moot.

Thanks again!