+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions regarding my girlfriend from Italy coming with me to Canada under an ETA

nittin96

Mar 13, 2019
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have done some research and am under the impression the answer for my questions will be ultimately determined by the border officer. But I would still like to hear some opinions.

I am Canadian and I have met my Italian girlfriend in Australia just three months ago and we have been traveling together ever since. We will be traveling to Mexico after Australia and we will both arrive in Canada from Mexico.

She will be able to apply for an ETA as an Italian citizen and I would like her to come visit me and my family for two months in Canada. She will not have to pay for any accommodation or food as me and my family will be providing that for her. Will she have to provide her bank statement to the border officer? and does she have to provide a return ticket to Italy? She has roughly 3500$ Canadian dollars and I figured that will be more than enough as her accommodation and food will be covered.

Also she does not have a job to go back to in Italy as we were both in Australia on a working holiday and using these funds to go traveling. However when she does return to Italy she will be easily able to work again. She also has family(no children) and a wedding in Italy that she has to return to. I am aware of the other options that would allow her to come to Canada but I think right now an ETA would be the best one.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Assume you realise that an ETA is simply an authority to board a plane destined for Canada and not a visa to enter Canada, entry decided at the border/POE. As an Italian citizen she would would be visa exempt so can apply for an ETA, valid for 5 years, at any time and in fact to ensure no basic issue with that she should apply for that as soon as.

For the rest of your post you already concluded that being persuasive about onward travel intentions in not having a ticket to leave the country is key, Mexico included. Personal view but on arrival in Canada best option is probably to face CBSA together and answer all questions honestly about intended stay and purpose, financial support, ability to buy a ticket to leave and so on.

Only answer CBSA questions asked so no need to volunteer any extra information, any bank statements or show wedding invitations unless asked to provide any detail. Possibly worst case she is allowed in as a visitor for a restricted time period , date stamped in passport, but unlikely would think anything worse such as refused entry but that just a personal view. Good luck

Last edited: