+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sole Custody question

queencoxie

Oct 23, 2020
Please I’m a little confused and will be happy about some clarification. I plan to migrate to Canada with my almost 2 year old son. His birth certificate only includes me as his mother but the father is unknown. Will I still need to show sole custody court document? If not, what documents will I need to prove that I can take him out of the country?

Ekdavido

Jun 21, 2019
You must upload the sole custody document for him or find the father and have him sign the Imm 5604 form. If father is unknown, start working on sole custody doc. All the best.

queencoxie

Oct 23, 2020
Is it possible to have the officer request for IMM5604 even after uploading sole Custody order when the father is unknown?

Ekdavido

Jun 21, 2019
If this arises, what do I do in this situation as I can’t locate the father.
You should then try to contact IRCC via phone or do a letter of explanation and send via webform. Since you have the custody document, lets hope they dont ask. Do you also have the affidavit of single parenthood signed by a notary public? It is vital document.

Heygoaaa

Mar 4, 2024
You must upload the sole custody document for him or find the father and have him sign the Imm 5604 form. If father is unknown, start working on sole custody doc. All the best.
Could you also share your opinion on my case too? In which I don’t even know in which jurisdiction I should get the sole custody doc.. it seems that there is no such legal process that would provide confirmation of sole custody..
I’m holding a Chinese passport, and gave birth to my child in Japan (this doesn’t make her a Japanese citizen, she’s holding Chinese passport as well) and we are living in Japan now
In this case, since “father” on her birth cert from Japan is blank, will I be asked to provide proof of sole custody of my child? It’s tricky since she’s not born in China and has been living in Japan.. I don’t even know which jurisdiction I should get the proof from.. and the Canadian immigration advisor is not sure either.
Any help is greatly appreciated!